• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

LGBT Supporters Group

mfcrocker

But I know we'll meet again, some sunny day...
Nailing my colours to the mast here, so to speak, but did anything ever come of the LGBT Supporters Group? I know there were rumblings of something happening around our Football vs Homophobia match back in Feb but I can't find much after that.

RaeUK

Cleaner
Staff member
As the T sellotaped onto the end of LGB, have to say I've never heard of an 'LGBT Supporters Group' in relation to ECFC.

Last edited:

mfcrocker

As the T sellotaped onto the end of LGB, have to say I've never heard of an 'LGBT Supporters Group' in relation to ECFC.
Yeah me either, gave it a Google this morning and saw this article https://www.exetercityfc.co.uk/news/2017/february/exeter-city-says-no-to-homophobia/

Dunno if Alan Quick got anywhere with it, might fire them an email.

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
Maybe the club just thought it wasn't necessary. I can't imagine there's any discrimination against LBGT in this day and age any more than there is against anyone else. Maybe they think as one club and one community nobody needs to feel separate.

mfcrocker

Maybe the club just thought it wasn't necessary. I can't imagine there's any discrimination against LBGT in this day and age any more than there is against anyone else. Maybe they think as one club and one community nobody needs to feel separate.
As pretty much any LGBT person will tell you, you're wrong. Heck, there's still plenty of homophobic "banter" on the terraces.

Perhaps if a group of folks is saying they need/want something, shut your mouth and let them get on with it.

mfcrocker

See also: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40846848

They're doing good work.

fred binneys head

I think Indo was coming at this from a more positive angle than you've taken it as, mfc. It would be a shame if the thread took a turn for the worse over a misunderstanding.

RaeUK

Cleaner
Staff member
... I can't imagine there's any discrimination against LBGT in this day and age ...
Really wish that was the case, Mike. I see myself as pretty much the average transgendered person. Some look worse, God help them, some look better, the bastards! Which means I haven't been physically assaulted yet. I say yet because there is always a high chance of some arse deciding they don't like me because of what I am. I've been verbally abused many times, had the foul looks, the side eye, and on a couple of occasions (so far) genuinely feared for my physical safety.
On at least one occasion that I was aware of, a supermarket checkout assistant closed his lane and walked off rather than serve me.
I avoid pubs, clubs, late night places, public transport. Anywhere where there is a likelihood of assault, verbal or physical. Fortunately, due to my health, I don't have to decide if I would feel safe or confident enough to attend a football match. In truth, I really doubt that I would.
As I say, I'm one of the lucky ones.

Last edited:

IndoMike

As pretty much any LGBT person will tell you, you're wrong. Heck, there's still plenty of homophobic "banter" on the terraces.

Perhaps if a group of folks is saying they need/want something, shut your mouth and let them get on with it.
I cannot imagine for the life of me why you have responded in such a manner and to be honest I feel quite hurt that you made it. You asked a question and I tried to give a rationale why the club might think it's not necessary. I suppose you are now going to say that I am anti LBGT, which I am not and never have been. You really should apologize.

IndoMike

Really wish that was the case, Mike. I see myself as pretty much the average transgendered person. Some look worse, God help them, some look better, the bastards! Which means I haven't been physically assaulted yet. I say yet because there is always a high chance of some arse deciding they don't like me because of what I am. I've been verbally abused many times, had the foul looks, the side eye, and on a couple of occasions (so far) genuinely feared for my physical safety.
On at least one occasion that I was aware of, a supermarket checkout assistant closed his lane and walked off rather than serve me.
I avoid pubs, clubs, late night places, public transport. Anywhere where there is a likelihood of assault, verbal or physical. Fortunately, due to my health, I don't have to decide if I would feel safe or confident enough to attend a football match. In truth, I really doubt that I would.
As I say, I'm one of the lucky ones.
I know, Rae. You told me a couple of years ago. Of course I know there are still a lot of ingoramuses who want to judge others who are a bit different. I guess it makes them feel better. Even my wife and I as a mixed couple have been on the end of some abuse (but seldom) and crude remarks. My point was just that maybe City thought that it wasn't necessary to have a LBGT supporters club because we're all welcome anyway. I think I said to you before, I don't give a sh*t about people definitions : for me there are just good people and not so good.