Page 91 of 110 FirstFirst ... 41818990919293101 ... LastLast

Thread: Ethan Ampadu off to Chelsea

Re: Ethan Ampadu off to Chelsea

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
    Slightly digressing here...

Could we be dragging our feet taking this to tribunal in order to shove any income from Amps move into the next financial year?
    I doubt if it matters as I'm pretty sure that these days for outside reporting the tribunal fee has to be recorded in the FY the transfer took place, regardless of when the money is actually paid. The Club can of course phase the money however they like for budgeting and management accounting.

The Club will presumably be cashflow positive for some time given the fees received for the transfers of Watkins and Wheeler, which I imagine will be paid in tranches, so the big decision is how it is allocated (by the CB in consultation with the TB) between the spending priorities internally, especially how much and over what period is allocated to the footballing budget. PT can spend his annual budget in whatever way he thinks best, but any significant increase in that budget in-year has to be agreed by both boards.

Quote Originally Posted by John William View Post
    I doubt if it matters as I'm pretty sure that these days for outside reporting the tribunal fee has to be recorded in the FY the transfer took place, regardless of when the money is actually paid. The Club can of course phase the money however they like for budgeting and management accounting.

The Club will presumably be cashflow positive for some time given the fees received for the transfers of Watkins and Wheeler, which I imagine will be paid in tranches, so the big decision is how it is allocated (by the CB in consultation with the TB) between the spending priorities internally, especially how much and over what period is allocated to the footballing budget. PT can spend his annual budget in whatever way he thinks best, but any significant increase in that budget in-year has to be agreed by both boards.
    I suspect the amount that is allocated towards the playing budget would depend a lot on whether or not we get promoted this year. It strikes me that clubs often spend heavily to achieve promotion from L2, only to have to spend heavily again to establish themselves in L1 - I doubt we would be prepared to do that, instead waiting until we get up 'on the cheap' and saving funds for becoming established in L1. It would seem the more sustainable approach, and sustainability is basically what we strive for.

Quote Originally Posted by hienzeECFC View Post
    I suspect the amount that is allocated towards the playing budget would depend a lot on whether or not we get promoted this year. It strikes me that clubs often spend heavily to achieve promotion from L2, only to have to spend heavily again to establish themselves in L1 - I doubt we would be prepared to do that, instead waiting until we get up 'on the cheap' and saving funds for becoming established in L1. It would seem the more sustainable approach, and sustainability is basically what we strive for.
    It's funny that you say that, because I have been thinking the exact same opposite! Although not reckless with money, I thought the Board, after selling Wheeler, showed real intent by signing Boeteng and Stockley on 3 year deals like Deano. I'm sure those three will be among our highest earners, so to lock them into, what for us are long deals, says that not only are we really going for promotion this year but to also be ready to have a real go in League One. It might encourage others like JMT to stay. Now that he's 24 he can walk in the summer if his deal's up. If we get promoted we would have the makings of a good young side. Even Deano will only be 32. Obviously the Board wont say it because they wont want to raise expectations, but I would be very surprised if that isn't the plan.

Quote Originally Posted by Exehausted View Post
    It's funny that you say that, because I have been thinking the exact same opposite! Although not reckless with money, I thought the Board, after selling Wheeler, showed real intent by signing Boeteng and Stockley on 3 year deals like Deano. I'm sure those three will be among our highest earners, so to lock them into, what for us are long deals, says that not only are we really going for promotion this year but to also be ready to have a real go in League One. It might encourage others like JMT to stay. Now that he's 24 he can walk in the summer if his deal's up. If we get promoted we would have the makings of a good young side. Even Deano will only be 32. Obviously the Board wont say it because they wont want to raise expectations, but I would be very surprised if that isn't the plan.
    I completely agree that we seem to have stepped up our ambition this year compared to previous years. I suspect that the willingness to allocate more funds to the playing budget is in part down to the fact that the stadium will be at a level to better capitalise on a promotion once the works are complete. The club obviously can't say that it is better that promotion has not been achieved over the last 5 years but in hindsight you can see how that conclusion could be reached.

Although i agree we do seem to be spending more, I still think that compared to the likes of mansfield we are attempting to progress in a far more sustainable way than many other clubs who spend big and then have to spend big again once they get promoted.

Personally I love the sustainable model. If i wanted immediate success and subsequent chaos i would go and watch a premier league team. If 5 years of mediocrity is the price of ECFC going up and establishing themselves in League 1 then I have no issue with that...although if it takes another 5 years I might change my mind...

Quote Originally Posted by hienzeECFC View Post
    If 5 years of mediocrity is the price of ECFC going up and establishing themselves in League 1 then I have no issue with that...although if it takes another 5 years I might change my mind...
    With the exception of the grandstand finish after October of last year, haven't the rest of last season plus the previous two been generally substandard as far as home form went? I wouldnt wish what you and many others went through.

Quote Originally Posted by PeteUSA View Post
    With the exception of the grandstand finish after October of last year, haven't the rest of last season plus the previous two been generally substandard as far as home form went? I wouldnt wish what you and many others went through.
    Easier for me to say as an exile - but I maintain my preference would be for us to build in L2 a team and infrastructure which when (if) we get promoted to L1 leaves us capable of establishing ourselves and building towards the championship. Last time we went up, it could be argued, that it all happened a bit too quickly and we weren't ready to maintain L1 football over the long term.

The paperwork has been submitted to take the matter to tribunal. Another step towards the Ampadometer reading of 2.75m.

https://www.exetercityfc.co.uk/news/...-ethan-ampadu/

I hope the tribunal rules more than we wanted that will discourage other teams going down that route

Quote Originally Posted by Billy The Fish View Post
    The paperwork has been submitted to take the matter to tribunal. Another step towards the Ampadometer reading of 2.75m.

https://www.exetercityfc.co.uk/news/...-ethan-ampadu/
    Worrying that there seems to be a massive disparity between the two clubs valuation anything over 50K will probably be a bonus

Quote Originally Posted by Red Devon View Post
    Worrying that there seems to be a massive disparity between the two clubs valuation anything over 50K will probably be a bonus
    yeah i'm wondering when the last player to make their debut for the chav's first 11 that cost 50 g's, 1970's ? freedom of contract one thing but day light robbery is another..