Page 89 of 110 FirstFirst ... 3979878889909199 ... LastLast

Thread: Ethan Ampadu off to Chelsea

Re: Ethan Ampadu off to Chelsea

When Rooney scored THAT goal for Everton against Arsenal wasn’t he only 16? Of course there’s also Michael Owen and Robbie Fowler at Liverpool too. Having said that, if Ampadu is in that company and progresses to a fraction of what they achieved then that’s still not to be sniffed at.

I think that in recent years at Chelsea it is pretty unheard of isn't it? Lukaku had 80 odd games and 40 odd goals for a top flight team in Europe when he joined Chelsea, he only ever managed 15 games for them in all competitions having signed at 18 (I think?). Chelsea are probably the worst offenders for failing to play their youngsters, and yet Ampadu is getting close to the first team already, so i'd say unheard of is a fair comment.

Quote Originally Posted by John William View Post
    http://www.uefa.com/uefachampionslea...d=2497207.html

25 players in the A squad plus young players in the B squad.

Young players have to be registered with the Club for two years so Amps does not qualify.

He could however replace one of the A list players in the knockout stages.
    Thanks for the clarification John.

Quote Originally Posted by hienzeECFC View Post
    I think that in recent years at Chelsea it is pretty unheard of isn't it? Lukaku had 80 odd games and 40 odd goals for a top flight team in Europe when he joined Chelsea, he only ever managed 15 games for them in all competitions having signed at 18 (I think?). Chelsea are probably the worst offenders for failing to play their youngsters, and yet Ampadu is getting close to the first team already, so i'd say unheard of is a fair comment.
    Add going from a fringe player at a div 2 club and then walking into the prem champions squad...cant EVER remember that happening .. so make grecians comment 'unheard of' extreme as it seems but about right.

Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post
    Add going from a fringe player at a div 2 club and then walking into the prem champions squad...cant EVER remember that happening .. so make grecians comment 'unheard of' extreme as it seems but about right.
    He was only a fringe player with us because he was doing his GCSEs and couldn't play much, I suspect. He'd have been a regular were his education not important to him (and his family).

I think its fair to say that the sell on clause for him could be the most important part of the package when it is finally decided. It doesn't seem unrealistic to say he could be sold on for 20m+ one day, particularly with the mental market the premier league operates in these days.

I'm wondering after last nites loss in rome which is being put down,at least partly, to a lack of decent defensive minded midfield cover, wether amps will be making his full debut at the weekend ..would not surprise me in the least.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason H View Post
    He was only a fringe player with us because he was doing his GCSEs and couldn't play much, I suspect. He'd have been a regular were his education not important to him (and his family).
    Very perceptive of you jason.. good to see your on the ball this morning.

I think its fair to say that the sell on clause for him could be the most important part of the package when it is finally decided. It doesn't seem unrealistic to say he could be sold on for 20m+ one day, particularly with the mental market the premier league operates in these days.
    Hmmmm .. here's a prediction for you within 5 years he'll be the chavs and wales capt. Not that today capt is SUCH a huge deal. but....

Sell-on clauses of 20% or thereabouts are pretty much standard these days, sometimes even more. Bournemouth got a reputed 5.75 m when Southampton sold Lallana to Liverpool. The Tribunal will be well aware of this, both Dunne and TAH had 20% sell-on clauses in their Tribunal awards.