• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

EFL Trophy (CheckaTrade Trophy) 2017/18 Season

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Details of the Academy Under 21 sides invited in to this season's competition.

http://www.exeweb.com/2017/06/30/checkatrade-trophy-invited-sides-confirmed/

Draw expected next month

Last edited:

denzel

Very well known Exeweb poster
I can't wait to play Reading u21s.

Said no one. Ever.

richard_portland

Backing Gary Caldwell, thanks Matt and good luck.
Hopefully we get Spurs in our group, believe that the academy sides will be playing their matches away this season, if not imagine playing at Wembley or the Olympic stadium v West Ham in this competition??

Legohead

Banned
Disappointed with the powers that be sticking with the new format of having U21 sides competing. Makes me laugh how the big teams claim to be using this tournament to try out their youngsters. How about having clubs with managers strong enough in character to do the exact same thing in their first team and then maybe they could stop using the only cup tournament traditionally for lower league clubs as an embarrassing excuse to help justify their pointless bloated academies.

Last edited:

iscalad

Disappointed with the powers that be sticking with the new format of having U21 sides competing. Makes me laugh how the big teams claim to be using this tournament to try out their youngsters. How about having clubs with managers strong enough in character to do the exact same thing in their first team and then maybe they could stop using the only cup tournament traditionally for lower league clubs as an embarrassing excuse to help justify their pointless bloated academies.
All about the money, innit.

Snakebite

Well-known Exeweb poster
I take it the one year trial went well then?

#bteamboycott

richard_portland

Backing Gary Caldwell, thanks Matt and good luck.
We have Plymouth and Yeovil in our group, will be decided Wednesday who the cat one academy side will be and which games will be home and away. (We will be home to the cat one side) potential of Chelsea again or Spurs. Given the feeling about the trophy it's probably the most attractive draw we could have got.

Colesman Ballz

We have Plymouth and Yeovil in our group, will be decided Wednesday who the cat one academy side will be and which games will be home and away. (We will be home to the cat one side) potential of Chelsea again or Spurs. Given the feeling about the trophy it's probably the most attractive draw we could have got.
Indeed it is, and more potential fuel for posts in Banter Base with our green chums on the Reid v Grant issue. Bring it on ! :)

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
On another forum, I made mention of the fact Plym**th have gone with green for both their home and away strip, and warned they'd better not draw Yeovil in a cup competition.

Oh...

andrew p long

my reading of the 'announcement of the groups' is that it wasn't a 'draw' but the groups were specifically chosen on a geographical basis. They don't call it a 'draw' and all the other groups are very convenient geographically (for example Cheltenham, Forest Green, Newport and Morecambe, Carlisle, Fleetwood) That's presumably the price - reduced travelling- of a competition with fewer and fewer paying spectators.