Page 69 of 171 FirstFirst ... 1959676869707179119169 ... LastLast

Thread: Update on the SJP works

Re: Update on the SJP works

Quote Originally Posted by Cheshire Grecian View Post
    Progress seems slow considering the stand was gutted internally before the roof dismantling started
    As Andy hints at, it's a pain in the a**e to do things off mobile platforms. You're limited as to how many people can work on the project and it's not as simple as unbolted the sheet and throwing it to the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by Sexton Blake View Post
    Exactly Andy this is by no means a straight forward or simple demolition job. Personally I think the contractor and itís manual operatives is doing a very good and professional job.
    Im not challenging the quality of their work, we (the club/trust) just need to ensure that if this job was not put out to tender and therefore was rewarded we are not presented with a final bill over and above the original quote due to additional labour/man hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Holloway View Post
    More haste, less speed!

The back roof will be longer to remove chiefly because of access, the front was OK from behind the hoarding, but the back is a totally different ball game, with the slope to contend with.
    for the front they were using a platform and cherry picker, the guy on the cherry picker was removing the bolts etc and sliding the sheets of asbestos down to the two chaps in the platform. Then, every 6 or 8 sheets, they all had to return behind the away end to put the sheets into the special skip.

They are also removing some of the metal roof supports as they go, so what looks like very little progress on the face of it, is in fact quite a bit.
    It would be interesting to find out how they put the stand up back in 1926, I doubt they had a 'Cherry Picker' back then!?

Quote Originally Posted by ianaplincorners View Post
    It would be interesting to find out how they put the stand up back in 1926, I doubt they had a 'Cherry Picker' back then!?
    ..or the Health & Safety Regulations we have today!

Don't worry it will soon come down once the roofs off ' gone in days !!!

I was in SJP this afternoon and 'Mrs Wrings little lads' are actually storming on with the removal of the last parts of the asbestos roof.

They are using only the cherry picker, with two lads, in to access the securing bolts from underneath the OG then, when they are able to remove the sheets they are passed down to two other lads, waiting underneath, who then carefully carry each individual sheet over to place them in the bucket of the big digger that was down to far end, the black one not the orange one for those at SJP on Sunday. Then when there are 6 or 7 sheets in the bucket they drive the digger over to the asbestos skip and then each sheet is carefully placed in the skip. All the time ensuring that the sheets are not broken, although it is only low grade asbestos the same strict regulations apply when handling it.

By my reckoning they'll be finished removing the roof at the latest by lunchtime tomorrow, they only had 2 1/2 sections left at 1500 today.

I suspect that they were held up a bit yesterday due to the heavy rain that fell on Exeter during the day.

I think that by Saturday you'll see a start having been made on removal of the steel stantions, then certainly by Accrington, the majority of the actual 'structure' will be gone and for the first time in over 90 years those in the Grandstand will have a clear view across Exeter towards Dr Dave's house!

It’s going to be very strange when there’s nothing there!

We could wave to all the students

Quote Originally Posted by Cheshire Grecian View Post
    Im not challenging the quality of their work, we (the club/trust) just need to ensure that if this job was not put out to tender and therefore was rewarded we are not presented with a final bill over and above the original quote due to additional labour/man hours.
    I assume that you're not in the construction industry? The job was almost certainly a lump sum contract so any additional hours wouldn't be chargeable.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Jan Yeo View Post
    I assume that you're not in the construction industry? The job was almost certainly a lump sum contract so any additional hours wouldn't be chargeable.
    In any case the contract is the responsibility of the developer, not the Club.