• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

New rules being considered

iscalad

Very well known Exeweb poster

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
David Ellaray says this ....."Referees, players, coaches and fans all agree that improving player behaviour and respect for all participants and especially match officials, increasing playing time and the game's fairness and attractiveness must be football's main priority,"

Coming from the man who apparently said to Robert McCarthy, a black non-League referee coaching manager..... "you looked rather tanned” and ask “have you been down a coal mine?”

Remember this aswell ....awarding a dubious penalty kick to Manchester United in the 1994 FA Cup Final against Chelsea. Elleray later admitted in his autobiography that he "blew without thinking" and although he knew he had made a mistake, he could not change his mind.

That's the person you want to be trying to implement these stupid rules !!

The guy is a disaster waiting to happen.

Last edited:

Antony Moxey

The easiest way would be for referees to actually do their bloody jobs and stop being as gullible as a five year old every time some cheat rolls around the floor clutching their ankle.

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
The easiest way would be for referees to actually do their bloody jobs and stop being as gullible as a five year old every time some cheat rolls around the floor clutching their ankle.
If that were the case Tim Sills would have only played about 36 minutes in his whole career !

LOG

Is the correct answer. Most of the things that really irritate me about the modern game are already covered by existing laws, it's the failure of the officials to enforce them properly that's the problem.

Additionally, some of these new suggestions seem like a dumbing down of the game to make it more appealing to a non-footballing audience, the football equivalent of T20.

Spoonz Red E

One easy change I'd like to see would be for the side that has possession when play is stopped due to an 'injury' to resume with a free kick to them from where they last had the ball.
Better that than them having to kick it into touch or contest a dropped ball.

I'm fed up in particular of the tactic when players nowhere near the action go to ground to halt the other side's attacking move.

Other than that, as LOG says, the laws are already there to be applied better than at present.

Antony Moxey

Another I'd like to see is one the ECFC Music is always on about: when the ref blows the whistle for an infringement, the team that it's been awarded against isn't allowed to touch the ball until after the free kick's been taken. It would stop all this blocking quick free kicks and running off with the ball before lobbing it back and the such like.

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
Come on chaps, do you seriously wish Spanish and South American football to come to a grinding halt ?

Colesman Ballz

The trouble is that rules are changed/and or introduced and everybody thinks great. Take for example the changes brought in last season with regard to the all-in wrestling taking place in the penalty box. First weekend of the season and penalties are awarded in high profile premiership games. By the time the schools went back in September, the crackdown had evaporated, and it was back to business as usual ! (facepalm)

I love to see a list of all referees on the Premier and Football League Panels, detailing all such calls made, including the dates. I would be surprised if any were awarded in 2017. It's feckin useless changing the rules unless the refs consistently apply them.

LOG

Not strictly related to this, has anyone been following the Confederations Cup where they've been trialing the video ref thingy?

I appreciate that the point of a trial is to pick up problems with it but it doesn't seem to have been a very smooth attempt. Today in the Germany v Cameroon match the ref booked a player for a high tackle then went and reviewed it himself at the pitch-side TV. Having done so, he changed his mind and sent the player off. All well and good except it was the wrong player, something he didn't notice even having reviewed it. Thankfully, this was pointed out to him but i could see players muttering "farce" out of the side of their mouths.

There was also a brawl in a match the other day where at least two players should have been sent off. It was reviewed and the ref booked one player. He then stopped player a minute or so later, presumably having had a whisper in his ear, and booked, i think, two more players.

I'm not necessarily against it but nobody seems to have a clue how and when to use it.