• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Overzealous Stewards

Grecian68

Have heard reports that some of the Wembley stewards being a tad overzealous, is this correct?
If so, bit of a shame but I suppose they take a zero percent policy on things.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
I thin some of the people who attended didn't quite understand that you stand in a singing section, and got a bit annoyed with people standing and with the flag waving.

I noticed that some people moved in to the block where the Red Legion were, so I think they were hotter on tickets being shown, and that meant some people didn't get back in to their seat.

I did wonder where the flags went towards the end of the game, but this did seem to be a problem for the stewards.

Grecian68

I thin some of the people who attended didn't quite understand that you stand in a singing section, and got a bit annoyed with people standing and with the flag waving.

I noticed that some people moved in to the block where the Red Legion were, so I think they were hotter on tickets being shown, and that meant some people didn't get back in to their seat.

I did wonder where the flags went towards the end of the game, but this did seem to be a problem for the stewards.
That's a shame.
That's why I sat at the side, it's pretty oblivious that you should expect to stand behind the goal, especially in the singing section.

jack101

I was pretty close to this, from what I understand the flag was removed along with the flag bearer after complaints from those behind... however, I've also got to say that some of the abuse given to the police and stewards was way over the top. 20 minutes after a very well observed minutes silence, a number of our fans let themselves down with their actions towards police and stewards. Given the current climate, the police shouldn't have to waste their time watching some teenagers moan about a flag.

Another point, how hard is it to stand in your assigned spot? The stewards let us stand for the entire game but that still wasn't enough for some who wanted to stand In the aisle and then cried foul when asked to move.

Last edited:

Legohead

Banned
I was pretty close to this, from what I understand the flag was removed along with the flag bearer after complaints from those behind... however, I've also got to say that some of the abuse given to the police and stewards was way over the top. 20 minutes after a very well observed minutes silence, a number of our fans let themselves down with their actions towards police and stewards. Given the current climate, the police shouldn't have to waste their time watching some teenagers moan about a flag.

Another point, how hard is it to stand in your assigned spot? The stewards let us stand for the entire game but that still wasn't enough for some who wanted to stand In the aisle and then cried foul when asked to move.
Agree with Jack. If fans have no consideration for other fans nor any common sense then it's reasonable to expect the stewards to step in and make themselves heard. It's just selfish people ultimately. If you want to stand and are permitted to do so then by all means stand. If you have people behind you sat down in seats who don't wish to stand then you either move if permitted or sit down. It doesn't mean you can stand regardless and bugger everyone else. Those who can't grasp this should be kicked out of the ground for being a bit simple upstairs.

In slight mitigation for the 'standers', like Grecian68 says - it is quite obvious to anyone who has been to a few football matches that if you have seats directly above / behind the goal then that's where the singing section prefer to stand so quite why you'd book seats at any game in that area and want to sit down is a bit baffling. Again, zero common sense. However, that is where they have chosen to sit so if you happen to be in the seats in front and are standing then it's perfectly reasonable for you to be required to take your seat.

jack101

I've got to stress I don't think standing was the issue. I think the large flag was the problem. Personally, I have no problem with either, but if you're asked to lower the flag then just do it. It's not worth kicking off about, and isn't an excuse to abuse those trying to keep you safe.

Legohead

Banned
I've got to stress I don't think standing was the issue. I think the large flag was the problem. Personally, I have no problem with either, but if you're asked to lower the flag then just do it. It's not worth kicking off about, and isn't an excuse to abuse those trying to keep you safe.
Agree Jack. Anyway, I thought that designated singing blocks were allocated and clear information given about where these were had been on the websites so like you, I wouldn't have been fussed if in that area but clearly lots were.

Was it a case of the flags being in other areas than those reasonably designated annoying people or that there were fans in with the flags and singers weren't really 'into the spirit of things' shall we say and got annoyed?

zyderman

ooooohhhhhhhhhh sh*tarrrrrrrrrrrrrrr aaaarrrrrrrrr
I was standing in the middle this. First few minutes were a lot of fun with singing and flags etc.

A steward politely asked the kid with the flag to decist from waving it for the whole game, which is fair enough as it does block the view for about 7 rows behind. Pretty sure if it was just intermittent flag waving he could have carried on all game. Unfortunately his response and the response of the stone island clad blokes around him was to start swearing and being generally unpleasant towards stewards and police. Consequently they spent the next 30 mins arguing with stewards rather than making any noise supporting the team which was all a bit pathetic and embarrassing for the well behaved city fans nearby.

Shame as could have been a great atmosphere.

Bongo1959

I was standing in the middle this. First few minutes were a lot of fun with singing and flags etc.

A steward politely asked the kid with the flag to decist from waving it for the whole game, which is fair enough as it does block the view for about 7 rows behind. Pretty sure if it was just intermittent flag waving he could have carried on all game. Unfortunately his response and the response of the stone island clad blokes around him was to start swearing and being generally unpleasant towards stewards and police. Consequently they spent the next 30 mins arguing with stewards rather than making any noise supporting the team which was all a bit pathetic and embarrassing for the well behaved city fans nearby.

Shame as could have been a great atmosphere.
They sell flags at there stall inside the stadium , what do you do with them then ???? Try to blow them .

ECFC89

Think the fans in question here, are getting a harsh rap, yeh of course some will have had to much to drink and got a but rowdy, but in my personal opinion I do believe the stewards created problems that did not need to exist. As said above the first twenty minutes were great, then someone gets kicked out for waving a flag....which wembley had granted permission for....in the singing block..... Why people bought tickets for the singing block to then just sit down bemuses me slightly, but oh well. Bad day all round.