• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

5 Season defining moments

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
This is what the Club have written http://www.exetercityfc.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/the-road-to-wembley-five-season-defining-matches-en-route-to-the-capital-3723044.aspx

I think winning at Orient after the 3-2 defeat at Carlisle was incredibly important.

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
This is what the Club have written http://www.exetercityfc.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/the-road-to-wembley-five-season-defining-matches-en-route-to-the-capital-3723044.aspx

I think winning at Orient after the 3-2 defeat at Carlisle was incredibly important.
Bit silly talking about this now when the most decisive moment is next Sunday.

Oldsmobile-88

Totally agree..Not a great performance,but we were bottom of the FL & ground out a result that was the start of a fantastic run.

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
Simpson getting injured was the turning point

iscalad

Me starting the Mansfield matchday thread. :D

RedPaul

Well-known Exeweb poster
Surely serving notice on the 2yr roller was the defining point :)

Agree about Orient although they were in crisis mode, so it almost felt like we had to win. The Cheltenham game a couple of weeks later showed we had turned the corner.
How does the Yeovil 3-3 not make it in there. Ok it was only a point, but an amazing point to rescue.

Grecian2K

I would suggest that the win at Donny that clinched our play off spot was fairly season defining (in a literal sense)

Last edited:

feverpitch

Well-known Exeweb poster
Not those lucky white pants? :D:$

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
Orient away was the start, if we'd lost that we would have been deep in the mire, but it was not season-defining.

For me it was half time at the Cheltenham away game. Although we had chances we had been under the cosh first half in a torrential downpour, David Wheeler cleared off the line and headed away many crosses helping out the defence. Then second half we completely changed things and went on to win.

Then the late late show v. Yeovil at home which kept us on track.

The Reid's injury time penalty at Mansfield which convinced me that the gods were not really against us..

Then the third goal at Doncaster which confirmed the playoff place.

The of course Jack Stacey's screamer to get us to Wembley. (I don't put that top as I'm confident we'd have won in extra time).

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Simpson getting injured was the turning point
...even though we picked up fewer points per game in the games after his injury than the equivalent games before.

I agree re: the win at Orient needing to be in there.