• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Histories of St James Park

Spoonz Red E

Very well known Exeweb poster
Just spent a really enjoyable 50 minutes or so watching this on the Grecian Archive YouTube Channel

[video=youtube;OjQAInOPeGE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjQAInOPeGE[/video]

Excellent stuff.

Oh, and the word on Well Street?

"REGENT" apparently ;)

Last edited:

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
Thanks, Spoonz. Will watch with great interest.

feverpitch

Well-known Exeweb poster
I saw this at the trust history group meeting last Thursday. Well worth a watch. Funny and poignant with some unseen footage.

Last edited:

rightwing

Well-known Exeweb poster
Absolutely brilliant Mike. It brings back a lot of great memories for me, and nice to see a lot of old friends.

RaeUK

Cleaner
Staff member
Will have a look at the video shortly but, out of interest, when was the first time Exeter City FC adopted and used the city crest? Was it on formation in 1904 or at a later date? From what I can see, none of the first kits appear to have a badge on them.

feverpitch

Well-known Exeweb poster
Will have a look at the video shortly but, out of interest, when was the first time Exeter City FC adopted and used the city crest? Was it on formation in 1904 or at a later date? From what I can see, none of the first kits appear to have a badge on them.
http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Exeter_City/Exeter_City.htm

If you look at this link, a crest emblem of sorts appears in 1972 but the crest as we know it now seems to arrive in 1988. Interesting to see the shirt changes over the years.

feverpitch

Well-known Exeweb poster
Also try this https://thebeautifulhistory.wordpress.com/clubs/654-2/
Not all correct but there's a bit about adopting crests.

RaeUK

Cleaner
Staff member
Many thanks, fever. That was interesting and what I thought.
An item is coming up for auction which, for about four reasons, I'm not convinced about. I've asked the auctioneer to come back to me with what provenance they may have. I could be wrong (don't think I am, mind) But, after all, being wrong is my default position. :)
This is the item:
Exeter City FC, a black and burgundy velvet cap for the 1903-4 Season awarded to Charlie Lincoln:,
alleged ECFC cap Charlie Lincoln.jpg

feverpitch

Well-known Exeweb poster
Many thanks, fever. That was interesting and what I thought.
An item is coming up for auction which, for about four reasons, I'm not convinced about. I've asked the auctioneer to come back to me with what provenance they may have. I could be wrong (don't think I am, mind) But, after all, being wrong is my default position. :)
This is the item:
Exeter City FC, a black and burgundy velvet cap for the 1903-4 Season awarded to Charlie Lincoln:,
View attachment 865
http://grecianarchive.exeter.ac.uk/items/show/1455

Trust your instincts. This says he didn't sign for city til 1919 and only played two games. No idea about style of caps generally though.

RaeUK

Cleaner
Staff member
Quite. And from what little research I have done, them caps have come up consistently as rugby ones. So that, plus the late signing, plus the incorrect early use of the badge, plus the date being a year before City were formed ... :S
Mind you, we know the club can be a bit tight with freebies. Maybe Mr Lincoln was presented with a second-hand, 16 year old, rugby cap the chairman at the time had lying around. :D

Last edited: