• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Terrace Song Lyrics

exehausted2

When, where and who by are Terrace Song lyrics written? Obviously some emerge from a crowd "live" as it were, such as the cider song, a masterpiece of literary brevity. What about the Ryan Harley song for example? Of course you would want to make sure your spouse and Ryan had well developed senses of irony before introducing them but the last line is brilliant. Anybody want to claim copyright?

fred binneys head

Very well known Exeweb poster
What happens is someone hears another team sing about something and then they just substitute the team name with Exeter, or a player's name with Ryan Harley, etc.

exehausted2

Yes, but it has to originate somewhere and are there other versions of the Harley song? How many ginger haired players are there for a start?

Terryhall

I've not heard the Ryan Harley song but judging from the OP, is it the same as the Owen Hargreaves song from the 2006 World Cup, "Oh Owen Hargreaves, is the love of my life, oh Owen Hargreaves, I'd let you sh*g my wife" etc.? If so then, as just implied, its at least 10 years old if not older.

See also Lee Holmes / Will Grigg and their comparative flammability.

Exe on Valdez

How many ginger haired players are there for a start?
Thankfully not that many :D.

Concur with Fred. There is no great originality in most terrace anthems. Shame that "We'll get by with a little help from George Friend" didn't catch on when he came back to us on loan. Genius.

wiveygrecian

Yes, but it has to originate somewhere and are there other versions of the Harley song? How many ginger haired players are there for a start?
Quite a few in Cambridge by the look of their side I saw on Monday!!

fred binneys head

I loved the chant I heard the other day at the Derby vs QPR game. The QPR fans sang "he's one of our own, he's one of our own, Richard Keogh, he's one of our own".

Thankfully not that many :D.

Concur with Fred. There is no great originality in most terrace anthems. Shame that "We'll get by with a little help from George Friend" didn't catch on when he came back to us on loan. Genius.

"We'll get by with a little help from George Friend"

Now that would have been a unique chant of our own and a very clever and true one too !

So many of our chants can be found on youtube it almost gets embarrassing.......Roman Walls......Boys making all the Noise.....the Maca song was even uploaded back in Sept '15 by Arsenal fans.......'Ginger hair too' gets plenty of outings going back at least ten years to Stuart McGrady at Queens Park (rip)....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwfKO_ud6VA

a very funny one of Fleetwood's sung at Preston's place......very topical at the time no doubt...... http://terracechants.me.uk/club/chants/Fleetwood+Town

Swanaldo

Whenever Li'l Les Afful beat a defender (before inevitably falling over or passing the ball to the lino) two lads near me would start up "Les, Les will tear you apart." Sadly it never caught on, but often made me chuckle.

Grecian_in_Plymouth

my favourite of all time

Phillipe Albert of Newcastle

phillilpe , phillipe Albert
Everyone knows his name

( to Rupert the Bear song)