Page 90 of 197 FirstFirst ... 40808889909192100140190 ... LastLast

Thread: General Election - 8thJune

Re: General Election - 8thJune

Quote Originally Posted by Hermann View Post
    That isn't what they mean though. The net contributor argument refers solely to the overall EU budget and is based on treasury figures - it therefore only includes money that is paid to and from the government. University research funding is not included, as this is paid directly to the universities. Not to mention the fact that universities contribute around 40 billion to GDP, a figure which is under threat if international students and staff start to go elsewhere.
    I'm afraid many of the Brexiters fell for some of the pork pies that came from the Brexit campaign. Anyway, Donald Trump is pleased about it. Wonder if it was the Russians who really voted for Brexit.

Quote Originally Posted by IndoMike View Post
    I'm afraid many of the Brexiters fell for some of the pork pies that came from the Brexit campaign.
    I didn't - but I do recall that before the Pro-Leave Tory ministers could begin their campaign, David Cameron was halfway down the swimming pool before he shouted "Go!"

Seems to me that the jiggery-pokery used within the remainers was up and running pretty rapid.

Cameron ran a shambles of a campaign based on the only political tactic he ever had: scaremongering. Sadly when he hasn't got the Mail and Sun on his side it doesn't work.

That doesn't however mean that the leave campaign wasn't full of lies and scaremongering itself.
    Last edited by Hermann; 23 June 2017 at 08:59.

Stuffy : You're right, I'm sure. But Boris' promise of an extra 350 million per week for NHS was a pretty outrageous porky. Takes some beating.
    Last edited by IndoMike; 23 June 2017 at 09:01.

I don't mind people who made an educated decision and came down on the side of leave - I've got lawyer and finance friends in particular who were torn, but decided on balance that leave was the better option. But for so many people to ignore the overwhelming weight of expert opinion due to some misguided notion of "taking back control" seems highly naive to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermann View Post
    I don't mind people who made an educated decision and came down on the side of leave - I've got lawyer and finance friends in particular who were torn, but decided on balance that leave was the better option. But for so many people to ignore the overwhelming weight of expert opinion due to some misguided notion of "taking back control" seems highly naive to me.
    It's not just the financial impact (and it's difficult to see how that can be anything other than negative), but it's also the fact that in effect we're saying that we don't want to belong to Europe : that we don't really need Europe. A kind of lack of solidarity and friendship. In my opinion we were stronger together.

To be fair Mike, quite a few other European Countries are not members, and they are not all negatively impacted, Norway, Switzerland and Liechtenstein are all very wealthy, but there are clearly others who are not. I have given up trying to decide what is best for us or otherwise, as the conplexity is massive and only time will tell. I certainly think if the countries mentioned can manage I suspect we can too, but not sure if that would make us better off or not, not sure anybody really knows the answer to that one !

Quote Originally Posted by Avening Posse View Post
    To be fair Mike, quite a few other European Countries are not members, and they are not all negatively impacted, Norway, Switzerland and Liechtenstein are all very wealthy, but there are clearly others who are not. I have given up trying to decide what is best for us or otherwise, as the conplexity is massive and only time will tell. I certainly think if the countries mentioned can manage I suspect we can too, but not sure if that would make us better off or not, not sure anybody really knows the answer to that one !
    Except Norway and Switzerland are part of the single market and have unrestricted immigration. Something May and co have ruled out.

Quote Originally Posted by Avening Posse View Post
    Avening : Liechenstein has a population of three men and a dog : if you go thru it by train, don't blink : you'll miss it, as you probably know. Banking centre (and that's not a misspelling).
    Last edited by IndoMike; 23 June 2017 at 10:57.

Quote Originally Posted by IndoMike View Post
    Avening : Liechenstein has a population of three men and a dog : if you go thru it by train, don't blink : you'll miss it, as you probably know. Banking centre (and that's not a misspelling).
    Plus although they don't officially have freedom of movement, they basically do. I think I read somewhere that over 50% of their workforce commutes in from other countries.