• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

General Election - 8thJune

Status
Not open for further replies.

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
Mrs May would have walked the election if she kept under wraps that some pensioners (not all) might lose their winter fuel allowance. Why did she do that? The UK has to borrow a staggering 50bn (and rising) in 2017. Some on these pages (they know who they are) were very vocal about the money pensioners were perceived to be getting compared to what young people received.The Labour Party who, despite the alarm bells ringing about our colossal balance of payments deficit of 7% GDP, meaning that we have a standard of living 7% higher than we are earning, has pledged to keep the winter fuel allowance without any changes. That's where Labour's extra votes came from. It's factotum madness!

As for Mrs May, she pledged to honour the democratic referendum in spite of being a remainer. That's the true face of democracy that many supposedly of the people would deny the people.

Meanwhile Jeremy Corbyn a brexiteer since 1975, who now relishes power like a latter-day Richard the Third said this...

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/oliver-huitson/jeremy-corbyn-eu_b_9689982.html
If May was a confessed remainer so why couldn't Dave as a remainer stay on?

Last edited:

Alistair20000

Because Ken Clarke stated that he would not last 5 minutes as PM if he lost the Referendum

IndoMike

Because Ken Clarke stated that he would not last 5 minutes as PM if he lost the Referendum
Do you believe that is true? And do you think he should have said "Well let's see, Clarkey boy?

Last edited:

Mr Jinx

Call Me Dave did the right thing all along and only messed with the concessions imho. If he had got much better concessions from the EU this thread wouldn't exist. But unsurprisingly (to me and many others at least) he didn't and so he went and dressed up the few tossed crumbs as best he could which made him look as weak as it did foolish. And we are where we are.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Call Me Dave did the right thing all along and only messed with the concessions imho. If he had got much better concessions from the EU this thread wouldn't exist. But unsurprisingly (to me and many others at least) he didn't and so he went and dressed up the few tossed crumbs as best he could which made him look as weak as it did foolish. And we are where we are.
He may as well have brandished a sheet of white paper declaring "Peace in our time" or similar.

IndoMike

When he called for a referendum he should have reminded the voters that the result would not be binding but was just to consult with the British people. If the result had been the same he should have said to the Euro leaders that the British people were not convinced about Europe for reasons a, b and c and he would have to call for another referendum within 12 months if the concessions were not offered.

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
As for Mrs May, she pledged to honour the democratic referendum in spite of being a remainer. That's the true face of democracy that many supposedly of the people would deny the people.
Hence why we live in a representative democracy, not democracy by plebiscite. We shouldn't be making monumental decisions on the basis of which side is best at lying.

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
Interesting this.
Culturally, the BBC could be labelled left wing.
I'd say it was trying to stay ahead of the cultural curve but then I'm a Guardian reading lefty ;)

I don't think BBC political coverage is left wing at all.
I think it strives to be neutral and all credit to it for that but when you consider the likes of the Today programme (ex editor Rod Liddle now a right wing attack dog), Daily Politics (main presenter Andrew Neil - Sunday Times. Telegraph, Spectator), Newsnight (ex presenter Jeremy Paxman approached by the Tories as a possible candidate), the last BBC politics chief Robbie Gibb becoming Teresa May's director of communications.

Well .......
The fact that right-wingers call the BBC left-wing and the left-wingers call it right-wing says a lot in my opinion.

Having said that, I do think they got up to some suspicious stuff in the last election. The Kuenssberg/Corbyn interview was one such odd occurrence.

elginCity

Hence why we live in a representative democracy, not democracy by plebiscite. We shouldn't be making monumental decisions on the basis of which side is best at lying.
Quite. The well informed and best informed leaving such a 'monumental decision' to the misinformed, disinformed and ill-informed is NOT 'the true face of democracy'.

It's the true face of travesty.

Last edited:

Alistair20000

Do you believe that is true? And do you think he should have said "Well let's see, Clarkey boy?
Ken Clarke did indeed say that and he was right to do so. Call Me Dave dressed up his tawdry negotiation as a good deal and actively fuelled Project Fear with his sidekick Gideon Osborne. Once the Referendum was lost he was toast.

What Call Me Dave should have said was that the deal was poor but it was as good as he could get and that in his opinion and despite that we were still better off in than out. He should also have avoided the crap about a "reformed EU" as it has not the slightest intention intention of reforming itself in a way that Dave suggested. At least that would have been an honest approach.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.