Page 101 of 195 FirstFirst ... 519199100101102103111151 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,010 of 1949

Thread: General Election - 8thJune

Re: General Election - 8thJune

Quote Originally Posted by Colesman Ballz View Post
    Could it be that Jase is worried in case the Windsors fight back, with the Duchy of Cornwall, hiking the rent at the Oval, thereby bringing about a rise in ticket prices to watch Sorry ?
    I'm perfectly happy to see Sorry priced out of existence...

Quote Originally Posted by Jason H View Post
    If the net contribution has increased exponentially to account for the 6 million hike, then more power to their elbow.

If my employer performed particularly well, I'd feel justified in wishing to share the spoils.
    So I take it you're equally at peace with multi million bonuses to bankers? They are after all net contributors too?

And again to return to the salient point Hermann raised - even if we could all agree that the number is valid - the timing reeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Terryhall View Post
    So I take it you're equally at peace with multi million bonuses to bankers? They are after all net contributors too?

And again to return to the salient point Hermann raised - even if we could all agree that the number is valid - the timing reeks.
    If the bank has performed well, then I don't see why not.

I'm sure Her Maj couldn't really help the timing.

But banks are (supposedly) privately owned. As the Queen is paid by the treasury is she not a public sector worker? The rest of the public sector has had a pay freeze...

Now I must admit to being a bit of an old royalist, but I simply can't justify it. Equally, whilst the rest of us are struggling to make ends meet in these stringent times, I really can't see why Her Majesty really needs four mahoosive houses, and can't make do with one to cope with the State business, and perhaps (given her and Phil the Greeks advanced years) a few small bungalows dotted around the country. After all that other enormous profligate organisation, the EU makes do with just the two (and that's double what's necessary !).

In which case I suspect our disagreement may be ideological (hardly surprising given this is a thread about the election) :-) I'm sure she couldn't - but someone somewhere decided both the figure and the timing. Not aiming this directly at Elizabeth My Dear in any way, but in general I find it pretty hard to swallow.

Regardless of whether it is justified or not, it looks bloody awful that since austerity began nurses have had a real terms pay cut and disabled people have had their benefits removed, whilst both MPs and the queen have had pay rises.

I don't think MP's get paid enough. That is why I think most of the current crop are not a patch on the ones of the past. Much easier for the really talented to earn significantly more these days and not have to put up with the endless hassle

Quote Originally Posted by Avening Posse View Post
    I don't think MP's get paid enough. That is why I think most of the current crop are not a patch on the ones of the past. Much easier for the really talented to earn significantly more these days and not have to put up with the endless hassle
    Well quite. If you're someone of capability and are told that you could have a new job, but it involves semi-permanently relocating, often ridiculous hours, putting up with all sorts of abuse from keyboard warriors, having to deal with members of the public who sometimes seem to think it's your fault they're in schtuck, all with little job security (unless you land yourself a safe seat), for 70K, and your captains of industry types will tell you to FRO.

In a way, that's why I don't join in with this MP bashing. Most of them (across all parties) at least seem to be in it because they wish to make a difference rather than lining their own pockets.

Personally I have taken a decision since the election to become more involved, although making this decision at 40 and with little background I don't suspect I'm destined for the front benches any time soon. Plus I'll no longer be eligible to count votes in future, that's my holiday funds buggered.

Fair play Hants, political views aside the whole system collapses if people aren't willing to put their names forward. For what it's worth my old man stood as a Conservative candidate in one of the safest Labour seats in the country while I was at school (yes, you can imagine how popular that made me). I would however also share the tale of a family friend who put their name on the local council ballot just because nobody else would at the age of 78, with no expectation of anything other than a heavy defeat at the ballot box - and got duly elected to serve a 5 year term as councillor - so be careful what you wish for