Page 402 of 668 FirstFirst ... 302352392400401402403404412452502 ... LastLast
Results 4,011 to 4,020 of 6676

Thread: General Election - 8thJune

Re: General Election - 8thJune

Quote Originally Posted by Terryhall View Post
    ... (I would also add it's a bit of cheap shot to take half of my sentence and then quote it as if that were the entirety of my sentence...)
    Sorry you feel that way, but you're completely and utterly wrong. I quoted the relevant bit that I wished to address and then used an ellipsis to indicate there was more to the quote than that which I had used.
    If it isn't now, it certainly used to be, in the rules to only quote the relevant part when responding.
    So, no, I have not taken a 'cheap shot' at you and find the accusation quite ridiculous.
    Last edited by RaeUK; 12 July 2018 at 15:07.

Quote Originally Posted by RaeUK View Post
    Sorry you feel that way, but you're completely and utterly wrong. I quoted the relevant bit that I wished to address and then used an ellipsis to indicate there was more to the quote than that which I had used.
    If it isn't now, it certainly used to be, in the rules to only quote the relevant part when responding.
    So, no, I have not taken a 'cheap shot' at you and find the accusation quite ridiculous.
    Look at it objectively - your redaction completely changed the context of what I was saying.

I said "We were definitely very vocal and influential in, for example, the imposition of economic sanctions and shaping regulation" - which is true - we were.
    You then misquoted this to imply that I said "We were definitely very vocal and influential" - which isn't what I said or meant and twists my words. In my opinion, that's a cheap shot, whether it's in current or former forum rules or not. I would have no issue with you quoting my whole sentence but quoting half of it not only robs it of context, in this case it completely changes the meaning.

See the Trumpster has landed for a short "Not Actually a State" visit. Whilst i agree that some of his policies are abhorrent and his attitude to his allies can be somewhat abrasive but we have handed out state visits to much nastier people so why is Trump so divisive? Khan the worst mayor of London, Who makes Boris's tenure nearly half decent (Except his gentrifying policies) seems to care more about this visit than the worst knife crime the capital has seen, Get a grip on your own City and TBH Trump is only here for a couple of days and im sure most Londoners care more about Crime, Housing, Jobs, Transport than the orange man from across the pond

Terryhall, it was not a misquote. Your accusation is offensive. I'll leave the matter at that.

Quote Originally Posted by RaeUK View Post
    Terryhall, it was not a misquote. Your accusation is offensive. I'll leave the matter at that.
    Your redaction stripped the sentece of all context and meaning. You turned what was clearly a specific point/example about one thing and tried to make it appear as if it was a generic/generalised comment. Hardly the crime of the century but strange you would find pointing out the obvious offensive. Let's all move on and be friends now.

Quote Originally Posted by DB9 View Post
    Whilst i agree that some of his policies are abhorrent and his attitude to his allies can be somewhat abrasive but we have handed out state visits to much nastier people
    Indeed.

Reminds me of a line from one of my favourite Clash songs,the 1978 single White Man in Hammersmith Palais.
    ‘If Adolf Hitler flew In today,they would sent a limousine anyway’

The ‘Trump Baby Blimp’ demo makes the City of London look daft & reflects on the Mayors Office.Poor taste.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldsmobile-88 View Post

The ‘Trump Baby Blimp’ demo makes the City of London look daft & reflects on the Mayors Office.Poor taste.
    I actually love the Blimp, it is just the latest twist on the age old British tradition of lampooning politicians which has been going on since the time of Hogarth right through to the present day with the likes of Gerald Scarfe, Private Eye, and Spitting Image. In Aberdeenshire, the neighbours to his golf course, who Trump tried to force out of their homes, by cutting off the their water supplies and other dirty tricks, I am sure would love to fly it next to the bloody course.

Given how numerous politicians tried to buy their Spitting Image puppets, I wonder if Donald will do likewise and make himself look an even bigger tool !

I am sure there could be a big commercial marketing opportunity based on the character too, which could possibly raise large sums for charity !

I don't have a problem with the blimp, or with Khan speaking his mind. It's not like it takes long to send a few tweets (as Trump would know). I do have a problem with Theresa May having to bow down to him, as much as I do her bowing down to the Saudis and China. It will be Putin next. This is what we're left with now.

Also pretty much a waste of time bowing to Trump when he's just done his best to torpedo her brexit compromise.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermann View Post
    Also pretty much a waste of time bowing to Trump when he's just done his best to torpedo her brexit compromise.
    Feels like Trump deploying "the art of the deal" - he knows how weak Theresa is right now so he chops her off at the knees so that he can turn the screw when the time comes for UK/US trade talks. He knows full well we need him more than he needs us and he's going to milk that for all he can. As predictable as it is unavoidable given the mess we are in.