Page 494 of 494 FirstFirst ... 394444484492493494
Results 4,931 to 4,939 of 4939

Thread: General Election - 8thJune

  1. #4931

    Re: General Election - 8thJune

    Quote Originally Posted by Hermann View Post
    By chance I'm in Birmingham and accidentally staying next to the UKIP conference. Currently the protest is looking bigger than the conference.
    Held in a building that the EU contributed £50m of funding for in the 1990s. The Tories will hold their 2018 conference there, too.

    Quote Originally Posted by Birmingham Mail
    The EU chipped in £50 million towards the ICC and Symphony Hall which opened for business in 1991. It most famously welcomed global leaders, including Presidents Bill Clinton and Boris Yeltsin to the 1998 G8 Summit. Each year it hosts some 350 events including political and business conferences bringing hundreds of thousands of visitors to the city.
    https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/new...nding-11028563
    Last edited by Temporarily Exiled; 22 September 2018 at 09:13.

  2. #4932

    Re: General Election - 8thJune

    And so John McDonnell has come out this morning ahead of their Conference saying we should push on with Brexit:

    https://www.theguardian.com/politics...ad-with-brexit

    Guardian readers are in meltdown which I find amusing. Lots still clinging on to a romantic vision that Jezza is somehow going to wake up one day and want to stop the whole thing. Corbyn & McDonnell have been hardened Leavers most of their lives; they're not for turning. They even put it in their last manifesto ffs. Did you somehow miss that bit?

    Hardened Remainers - wake up! The Tories nor Labour are going to stop this thing, they're just arguing the toss whether it should be hard, chequers or something else. Go form you own party or join the LibDems.

  3. #4933

    Re: General Election - 8thJune

    Quote Originally Posted by IndoMike View Post
    I'm angry with Cameron, because he was the one who unnecessarily called for the referendum
    The Referendum was approved by Parliament by a very large majority. Only the SNP and the few LibDems voted against it. Cameron could call whatever he liked, it needs a vote to be passed and he didn't do much persuading. Lots of Labour were all for it.

  4. #4934

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    In Limbo
    Posts
    12,115

    Re: General Election - 8thJune

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Jinx View Post
    The Referendum was approved by Parliament by a very large majority. Only the SNP and the few LibDems voted against it. Cameron could call whatever he liked, it needs a vote to be passed and he didn't do much persuading. Lots of Labour were all for it.
    He had no obligation to call for the referendum. He chose to do it for political expediency without knowing what to do if the vote result was "leave". To play with the economic future of the nation and to take the country for a walk beside a steep cliff whilst blindfolded is extremely irresponsible to say the least. The mere fact that the supposed great brains of the nation are still trying to work out various issues connected to Brexit indicates that it was impossible to provide the nation with a clear, detailed list of the consequences of Brexit : these experts don't even know themselves now!! So how could voters decide if to leave or stay when there wasn't even clear and detailed info on the consequences?
    Cameron is a classic chinless wonder : all image "Call me Dave" but no substance and a coward.
    Last edited by IndoMike; 23 September 2018 at 05:31.

  5. #4935

    Re: General Election - 8thJune

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Jinx View Post
    And so John McDonnell has come out this morning ahead of their Conference saying we should push on with Brexit:

    https://www.theguardian.com/politics...ad-with-brexit

    Guardian readers are in meltdown which I find amusing. Lots still clinging on to a romantic vision that Jezza is somehow going to wake up one day and want to stop the whole thing. Corbyn & McDonnell have been hardened Leavers most of their lives; they're not for turning. They even put it in their last manifesto ffs. Did you somehow miss that bit?

    Hardened Remainers - wake up! The Tories nor Labour are going to stop this thing, they're just arguing the toss whether it should be hard, chequers or something else. Go form you own party or join the LibDems.
    Corbyn has now said that while he will not call for it, he will if the party members vote for it.
    Last edited by Hermann; 23 September 2018 at 07:21.

  6. #4936

    Re: General Election - 8thJune

    I've been thinking about this, and I'm more and more convinced we're heading for no deal, because it is what is best for May. To make further concessions from chequers would be the end of her. But she must know chequers will not get through parliament. Yet she blames the EU for not accepting it, and doesn't say a thing about her own party members. As I said before, the best outcome for her is a no deal blamed on the EU being unreasonable.

  7. #4937

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    In Limbo
    Posts
    12,115

    Re: General Election - 8thJune

    Quote Originally Posted by Hermann View Post
    I've been thinking about this, and I'm more and more convinced we're heading for no deal, because it is what is best for May. To make further concessions from chequers would be the end of her. But she must know chequers will not get through parliament. Yet she blames the EU for not accepting it, and doesn't say a thing about her own party members. As I said before, the best outcome for her is a no deal blamed on the EU being unreasonable.
    I think the Tories would be quite happy to have a general election and lose it. Why would they worry about passing the buck to Labour whilst slinking off to take up their seats on company boards and getting renumerated incredibly well for being oafs with contacts. You don't think they care much about the well-being of the populace, do you?

  8. #4938
    Alistair20000's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Worried about Indo’s maths
    Posts
    23,396

    Re: General Election - 8thJune

    I think you under estimate the aphrodisiac that is called “power” Indo.

    As I posted after the 2017 General Election, from a medium to long term perspective the Tories interests would have been best served by handing the poisoned chalice over to JC and his cohorts.

  9. #4939

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    In Limbo
    Posts
    12,115

    Re: General Election - 8thJune

    Quote Originally Posted by Alistair20000 View Post
    I think you under estimate the aphrodisiac that is called “power” Indo.

    As I posted after the 2017 General Election, from a medium to long term perspective the Tories interests would have been best served by handing the poisoned chalice over to JC and his cohorts.
    So we both underestimated the said aphrodisiac

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •