Page 262 of 439 FirstFirst ... 162212252260261262263264272312362 ... LastLast
Results 2,611 to 2,620 of 4387

Thread: General Election - 8thJune

Re: General Election - 8thJune

Quote Originally Posted by Alistair20000 View Post
    Without wishing to derail the thread:

FFS Indo get yourself down to the friggin' dentist !
    Tomorrow............

Quote Originally Posted by Jason H View Post
    Accusation 1: That it was I who deflected by "suddenly introducing the topic of physical aggression at political meetings". The topic of the Rees-Mogg / UWE incident had been brought up in preceding posts.

Accusation 2: That I falsely claimed that only the left cause such trouble. I did no such thing, indeed quite the opposite, I merely offered a counter-point to Hermann's assertion which I considered inaccurate (rather than false). It is my stated belief (backed up by evidence both written and hearsay) that Conservative figures are subjected to more abuse than Labour figures - but most certainly NOT that abuse is entirely the preserve of the left.

I am quite sensitive to the term "right wing" as, rightly or wrongly, it has been used as a tool to denigrate with links made to Fascism.
    In your post #2570 you said "mainly the left". Others, such as Hermann, have already debated that with you.
    I have never said or implied you are a fascist, but I do think that there is a group of conservatives and followers who show extreme right tendencies. A group - not all.

Indeed - "mainly", not "only". A massive difference.

Indeed - "mainly", not "only". A massive difference.
    I still dispute that it is mainly the left that cause the trouble. Anecdotal evidence or newspaper headlines is hardly scientific evidence. I assume that at least we concur that both of us reject any kind of violence, whether it be political or not.
    Last edited by IndoMike; 08 February 2018 at 12:19.

Speaking of the left-wing, there are some strong rumours of student occupations in solidarity with the UCU strikes coming up. Always a fun time for everyone. I'll probably end up working from home.

Quote Originally Posted by IndoMike View Post
    I assume that at least we concur that both of us reject any kind of violence, whether it be political or not.
    Absolutely, no argument from me on that score!

Quote Originally Posted by Hermann View Post
    Speaking of the left-wing, there are some strong rumours of student occupations in solidarity with the UCU strikes coming up. Always a fun time for everyone. I'll probably end up working from home.
    Have they announced strikes? I know our pigeon holes are full of letters from them to staff with ballot papers enclosed, but not sure how old they are - our staff are useless at picking up their mail.

The unions here have pretty specific different fish to fry currently anyway.

The UCU strikes are completely absurd. The pension scheme is totally unsustainable (the current deficit is insane) and would end up stuffing the younger generations such as mine. Just demonstrates how devoid of the real world some people in academia and unions are. *Please note this is not a criticism of unions or academics generally.

Quote Originally Posted by Bittners a Legend View Post
    The UCU strikes are completely absurd. The pension scheme is totally unsustainable (the current deficit is insane) and would end up stuffing the younger generations such as mine. Just demonstrates how devoid of the real world some people in academia and unions are. *Please note this is not a criticism of unions or academics generally.
    Agreed on all counts. Administrative staff here saw the Defined Benefit pension scheme closed to new entrants and a Defined Contribution scheme launched instead which is far more sustainable in the long term. Academic staff were shielded from this, a cost that is crippling the sector.

Have they announced strikes? I know our pigeon holes are full of letters from them to staff with ballot papers enclosed, but not sure how old they are - our staff are useless at picking up their mail.

The unions here have pretty specific different fish to fry currently anyway.
    As it stands 14 days of strikes are planned:
    Thursday 22 and Friday 23 February
    Monday 26, Tuesday 27, and Wednesday 28 February
    Monday 5, Tuesday 6, Wednesday 7, and Thursday 8 March
    Week commencing 12 March: five days (all week)​

I'll be the first to say I don't understand enough about the whole thing to say whether the strikes are justified or not, but I'm concerned that those of us who can't afford 14 days off (either as holiday or unpaid) will be looked down upon. It's likely my building will see a picket line, so I hope the university will either allow us to work from home or provide an alternative office.