Page 258 of 574 FirstFirst ... 158208248256257258259260268308358 ... LastLast
Results 2,571 to 2,580 of 5732

Thread: General Election - 8thJune

  1. #2571

    Re: General Election - 8thJune

    Quote Originally Posted by Jason H View Post
    Are you sure about that? A few snide bits in the Daily Mail don't compare in the slightest to some of the abuse that takes place up and down the country, mainly (but not limited to by any means) by the left. The events at my alma mater on Friday night with Rees-Mogg are the tip of the iceberg, have a look at some of the examples from the election, for example those suffered by the Conservative candidate for Ealing Central and Acton. It's truly horrifying.
    Yes I'm sure. But of course I didn't expect you to agree.

  2. #2572
    exeweb.com admin Hants_red's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Hants
    Posts
    38,392

    Re: General Election - 8thJune

    Quote Originally Posted by Jason H View Post
    Are you sure about that? A few snide bits in the Daily Mail don't compare in the slightest to some of the abuse that takes place up and down the country, mainly (but not limited to by any means) by the left. The events at my alma mater on Friday night with Rees-Mogg are the tip of the iceberg, have a look at some of the examples from the election, for example those suffered by the Conservative candidate for Ealing Central and Acton. It's truly horrifying.
    A few. Some of these have been front page full on attacks individuals. Nothing snide at all about them.

    The first guy to throw a punch at UWE is a full blown Rees-Mogg supporter, not a student and don't you just love the picture of him on the SS uniform that is doing the rounds on social media!

  3. #2573

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    In Limbo
    Posts
    12,474

    Re: General Election - 8thJune

    The fact that a small minority of thugs on both sides of the aisle behave in an aggressive and undemocratic manner is irrelevant to the discussion we are having regarding Brexit They clearly do not represent their parties or the public: their presence should not be exaggerated in order to discredit the opposing party.

  4. #2574

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    In Limbo
    Posts
    12,474

    Re: General Election - 8thJune

    From the Beeb...not being selective : copy-paste became annoying/
    The Treasury Report on Brexit consequences for the economy:

    "In each scenario, growth would be lower, by 2%, 5% and 8% respectively, than currently forecast over a 15-year period.

    In north-east England growth would be 3% lower if the UK stayed in the single market, 11% under a trade deal and 16% with no trade deal compared with staying in the EU.

    The research suggests London - which backed Remain - would fare the best, with reductions of 1%, 2% and 2.5% in each of the three scenarios.

    Scotland's estimated hit would be 2.5%, 6% and 9%. Wales would see reductions of 1.5%, 5.5% and 9.5%.

    Brexit-backing Conservative MP Jacob Rees-Mogg has accused Treasury officials of "fiddling the figures" to make all options but staying in the EU look bad.

    Whitehall trade union reacted angrily to this suggestion and government ministers have dismissed his.....
    Last edited by IndoMike; 08 February 2018 at 01:34.

  5. #2575

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    In Limbo
    Posts
    12,474

    Re: General Election - 8thJune

    Who is this Rees-Mogg character? Who the hell does he think he is to slander and libel the Treasury just to hide the facts and try to retrieve his arguments from the garbage can? What has this guy ever done for England? Has he fought in a war? Has he made significant charitable contributions or done charity work? Or, does he have a vested interest in Brexit? God can't we ever rid ourselves of these pompous buffoons who believe their birthright is to rule over the prols?
    Last edited by IndoMike; 08 February 2018 at 01:42.

  6. #2576

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    In Limbo
    Posts
    12,474

    Re: General Election - 8thJune

    I see Rees-Mogg is referred to as the "Member for the 18th Century". Honestly...how can anyone take him seriously? He even proposed a coalition with UKIP (which was ignored, of course). Does the UK really need a far-right, reactionary leader like this? If I'm missing something, please someone explain to me why he should be taken seriously. Worse than Trump..

  7. #2577
    Alistair20000's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Tuning Lionelís Organ
    Posts
    23,662

    Re: General Election - 8thJune

    Quote Originally Posted by IndoMike View Post
    I see Rees-Mogg is referred to as the "Member for the 18th Century". Honestly...how can anyone take him seriously? He even proposed a coalition with UKIP (which was ignored, of course). Does the UK really need a far-right, reactionary leader like this? If I'm missing something, please someone explain to me why he should be taken seriously. Worse than Trump..
    Be careful Indo, look where Trump is now.

    R-M is considerably more intelligent than Trump and even if you don’t like his message he puts his case forward with considerable clarity. Rather like Comrade Corbyn he has a considerable following on social media and is the bookie’s favourite to be the next Tory leader. Not sure I think that will happen but then I did not expect Trump to get to the White House.

  8. #2578

    Re: General Election - 8thJune

    Personally I think Rees-Mogg would be a very bad choice for them, but then I thought that about Corbyn, so what do I know? Unlike Corbyn though, I don't think he appeals to a new demographic - or at least not one that doesn't already vote conservative en masse.

  9. #2579
    exeweb.com mod Jason H's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Hounslow, Middlesex
    Posts
    32,028

    Re: General Election - 8thJune

    Quote Originally Posted by Hants_red View Post
    A few. Some of these have been front page full on attacks individuals. Nothing snide at all about them.

    The first guy to throw a punch at UWE is a full blown Rees-Mogg supporter, not a student and don't you just love the picture of him on the SS uniform that is doing the rounds on social media!
    Blimey, I can't believe you fell for that. The instigator of the violence is a leading member of the local Momentum branch.

  10. #2580
    exeweb.com admin Hants_red's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Hants
    Posts
    38,392

    Re: General Election - 8thJune

    Quote Originally Posted by Jason H View Post
    Blimey, I can't believe you fell for that. The instigator of the violence is a leading member of the local Momentum branch.
    But the guy who threw the punch is a Rees-Mogg supporter.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •