Page 183 of 200 FirstFirst ... 83133173181182183184185193 ... LastLast
Results 1,821 to 1,830 of 1992

Thread: General Election - 8thJune

Re: General Election - 8thJune

Quote Originally Posted by RaeUK View Post
    Obviously, I'm no expert. But this doesn't look too shabby:

" According to the Office for National Statistics, Britain is doing better than ever selling services - including financial packages, pensions and insurance - to the rest of the world with an overall trade surplus of almost £21 billion with £38.5 billion in total exports in the second quarter of 2017.
    The UK’s top market for services was the US which bought in £8.4 billion worth of services to the US from April to June far more than the £2.5 billion sold to Germany, the second largest market.
    The UK services sector overall recorded a trade surplus of £101.1 billion last year with exports worth £262.3 billion.
    The ONS also revealed that two thirds of the total exports go to countries outside the EU.
    In 2016/17 the UK also attracted more foreign direct investment projects than ever before, with more than 2,200 projects – a two per cent increase on the previous year. There were also 75,000 jobs created, and almost 33,000 safeguarded – the equivalent of 2,000 per week."
    This doesn't mention the fact that BaFIN (the German financial regulator) has asked all UK insurance companies that sell insurance to German citizens (of which there are more than a couple) to explain what their plans are for a possible "hard Brexit". Quick version being, in a hard Brexit scenario, those insurers will not legally be able to undertake any insurance services in the EU - meaning they will be unable to pay out on insurance policies. That will mean they face a choice of breaking a contract with their customer, or breaking the law. More here - http://uk.businessinsider.com/bafin-...-plans-2017-10

As with every aspect of Brexit, the clock is ticking and the devil is in the detail - and I remain (no pun intended) concerned that both sides (UK and EU) are engaging in brinkmanship rather than actually negotiating and looking for a workable compromise. The longer that goes on, the less likely we are to end up with the best possible outcome in the timeframe allowed.

Looks like Mr. Jinx does not want to reply to the question I politely asked him twice about May refusing to reveal the list of serious impacts on our economy. I can only assume that there is no defensible argument.

Quote Originally Posted by Alistair20000 View Post
    I donít normally quote from The Sun but Fallon His Sword was quite amusing.

Who will be the next ?
    This is getting interesting I think. Fallon now accused of making in appropriate comments to Andrea Leadsom. She has refused to comment on the allegations. Given she is usually one of the quickest to speak out and tow the party line I think her silence says everything.

Also, I find it odd that Fallon's behaviour is apparently inappropriate for Defence Secretary, but absolutely fine for an MP...

Quote Originally Posted by Hermann View Post
    This is getting interesting I think. Fallon now accused of making in appropriate comments to Andrea Leadsom. She has refused to comment on the allegations. Given she is usually one of the quickest to speak out and tow the party line I think her silence says everything.

Also, I find it odd that Fallon's behaviour is apparently inappropriate for Defence Secretary, but absolutely fine for an MP...
    His most damning statement in my view was "what was appropriate 10 or 15 years ago, is not acceptable today" - I wouldn't have said that this would have been acceptable behaviour back in 2002 either. Or does Mr Fallon have some etiquette giude which provides a cutoff date at which point this stopped being OK?

Having once played the 'mum' card, yet another power play by the manoeuvring Leadsom.

Quote Originally Posted by IndoMike View Post
    Looks like Mr. Jinx does not want to reply to the question I politely asked him twice about May refusing to reveal the list of serious impacts on our economy. I can only assume that there is no defensible argument.
    Sorry didn't really know what you were referring to. But "a list of serious impacts to our economy"? The BOE already did that early in 2016 as part of Project Fear. I didn't pay much attention to it then and I certainly won't now. Their credibility is gone.

<<<waits for cries of 'but Brexit hasn't happened yet you fool'>>>
    Last edited by Mr Jinx; 03 November 2017 at 14:00.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Jinx View Post
    Sorry didn't really know what you were referring to. But "a list of serious impacts to our economy"? The BOE already did that early in 2016 as part of Project Fear. I didn't pay much attention to it then and I certainly won't now. They've cooked their goose.

<<<waits for cries of 'but Brexit hasn't happened yet you fool'>>>
    To play devil's advocate, I think Mike is referring to the detailed impact analysis that DExEU and the current govt have undertaken in order to brief our negotiators during the Brexit deal talks.

And to play devil's advocate back to Mike, by publishing that impact analysis, we would immediately undermine any negotiating position that we may want to adopt, as the EU team would then have access to all of the underlying information.

I'm all for transparency, but only when it makes sense to do so. I don't see any benefit to publishing this other than to satisfy the curiosity of those who demand to be In The Know.

Quote Originally Posted by elginCity View Post
    Having once played the 'mum' card, yet another power play by the manoeuvring Leadsom.
    If Fallon made lewd remarks towards Loathsome his taste is very low/poor indeed.

We are the grandchildren of apes, not angels

Quote Originally Posted by Alistair20000 View Post
    If Fallon made lewd remarks towards Loathsome his taste is very low/poor indeed.
    Rumour has it that he either offered to thrash her with his white stick, or set his guide dog on her.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermann View Post
    I agree.
    MP's are the last of the unreformed public servants. They are by today's standards cosseted and in receipt of way too many perks which are not relevant to their core function.