Page 161 of 223 FirstFirst ... 61111151159160161162163171211 ... LastLast
Results 1,601 to 1,610 of 2226

Thread: General Election - 8thJune

Re: General Election - 8thJune

Quote Originally Posted by Jason H View Post
    Not sure if the skeletons he allegedly has in his closet (and I've no idea what they are) would count against him. Certainly stopped him from standing last time, if word is to be believed.
    I hadn't heard that and a shame if that is so. He always comes across well when I have seen him speak.

As regards Corbyn v AN Other, I agree. I'm just saying for me personally, Corbyn is as bad as anything the Tories have to offer (for very different reasons). That said we are where we are and I agree he isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

Failing miserably to get into Stroudy's mind but somehow on the scoreboard

As regards Chuka Umunna, there were loads of speculative tabloid articles at the time alluding to a personal or family scandal. His reasons for pulling out of the leadership race: "too soon for me, had not appreciated the level of media attention" etc were to my mind not wholly convincing.

I believe The Times ran a report that he was living in a house owned by a family trust which is resident in Jersey which (if true) may of course all be perfectly above board. However, as an assiduous critic of "offshore tax planning" he might have felt this disclosure (if true) might have failed the whiff test which counts a lot with the great unwashed. If the damned thing smells a bit odd there is probably something not right about it.

Received wisdom is that in the modern TV world a bald man is up against it to become PM: think of failed slaphead contenders such as Neil Kinnock, Bill Hague and Ian Duncan Donuts.
    Last edited by Alistair20000; 06 October 2017 at 17:35.

Must say whenever I've seen Umunna on QT or similar, he's been awful - just the stock politician nothing answers with no sign of much other than toeing the line that'll supposedly appeal to the most people. For all of Corbyn's faults - and I still think he and McDonnell are a disaster - the fact that he seems to mean it - whatever 'it' may be and if you agree with 'it' or not - has resonated with people in search of something a bit more authentic.

I reckon Keir Starmer is a strong shout. I'd go Sadiq Khan if I thought anywhere outside of London would vote for a Muslim.

Quote Originally Posted by Alistair20000 View Post
    As regards Chuka Umunna, there were loads of speculative tabloid articles at the time alluding to a personal or family scandal. His reasons for pulling out of the leadership race: "too soon for me, had not appreciated the level of media attention" etc were to my mind not wholly convincing.

I believe The Times ran a report that he was living in a house owned by a family trust which is resident in Jersey which (if true) may of course all be perfectly above board. However, as an assiduous critic of "offshore tax planning" he might have felt this disclosure (if true) might have failed the whiff test which counts a lot with the great unwashed. If the damned thing smells a bit odd there is probably something not right about it.

Received wisdom is that in the modern TV world a bald man is up against it to become PM: think of failed slaphead contenders such as Neil Kinnock, Bill Hague and Ian Duncan Donuts.
    Putin's done rather well, though. (He is bald, isn't he?)

Quote Originally Posted by Terryhall View Post
    I hadn't heard that and a shame if that is so. He always comes across well when I have seen him speak.

As regards Corbyn v AN Other, I agree. I'm just saying for me personally, Corbyn is as bad as anything the Tories have to offer (for very different reasons). That said we are where we are and I agree he isn't going anywhere anytime soon.
    He stands by his principles as much as any other politician. As I said above : we might as well give the bloke a chance. He has endured a great deal of criticism from all directions and fought off challengers to his role as leader. He has come out of it well. As I said previously, I don't have a great deal of faith in any politician and don't think the effectively 2-party system gets us anywhere, but I say at least give him a chance : think he's earned it.
    Last edited by IndoMike; 07 October 2017 at 00:02.

Interesting to see Ruth Davidson publicly supporting May. She's one of the few Conservatives I can stand. Now I know she isn't an MP and has said she isn't interested in the job, but would she have a chance Jason?

Quote Originally Posted by IndoMike View Post
    He stands by his principles as much as any other politician. As I said above : we might as well give the bloke a chance. He has endured a great deal of criticism from all directions and fought off challengers to his role as leader. He has come out of it well. As I said previously, I don't have a great deal of faith in any politician and don't think the effectively 2-party system gets us anywhere, but I say at least give him a chance : think he's earned it.
    You think he's earned it?

Didn't he refuse to condemn President Maduro of Venezuela who's country was in a violent meltdown and who locks up opposition MP's. Then he repeatedly refused to condemn the actions of Republican terrorists - he was once asked five times to denounce the IRA but instead chose instead to state his opposition to "all bombing". Even MI5 opened a file on Corbyn because of his links to the Republicans. Oh, and didn't he invite Gerry Adams to Westminster? I say that because there's a photograph of Adams flanked by Corbyn and Mcdonnell. Finally, didn't he request that Hamas be removed from the UK's list on Banned terror groups? The Jews are less than happy as it is.

If the Tories flag up these carrings-on to the "silent" voters (who might also have a liking for poor Peter Kay) he might well end up as toast.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuffy View Post

Didn't he refuse to condemn President Maduro of Venezuela who's country was in a violent meltdown and who locks up opposition MP's. Then he repeatedly refused to condemn the actions of Republican terrorists - he was once asked five times to denounce the IRA but instead chose instead to state his opposition to "all bombing". Even MI5 opened a file on Corbyn because of his links to the Republicans. Oh, and didn't he invite Gerry Adams to Westminster? I say that because there's a photograph of Adams flanked by Corbyn and Mcdonnell. Finally, didn't he request that Hamas be removed from the UK's list on Banned terror groups? The Jews are less than happy as it is.

If the Tories flag up these carrings-on to the "silent" voters (who might also have a liking for poor Peter Kay) he might well end up as toast.
    Not sure what the Venezuelans President has done but he does get up Trump's nose so that's a positive? All Bombings and violence in Ulster were abhorrent, Which to me is the main thing to say and keep saying, Recent British Governments (Past and Present) have invited China, Russia, Saudi Arabia for State visits and all that entails so really inviting Gerry Adams to Westminster seems to be in keeping, Hamas is a Terrorist group and you're right that they should be banned until they accept Israel's right to exist but haven't we been arming so called "Friendly Syrian and Libyan Opposition Fighters" when we never really thought through how "Friendly" they are to the West and the UK? And don't forget that the "Wonderful" Thatcher invited Pinochet that awful dictator of Chile to the UK? I think what i'm trying to say is that all politicians liken themselves to people who have questionable values and run their countries in a manner which we find quite unpalatable

Quote Originally Posted by Stuffy View Post

Stuffy. We can go on and on forever and a day about who we should deal with/ censure based on moral grounds. One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter. Should we cut off all contact with America because of their brutal treatment of native Americans? That was immoral, wasn't it? Or the brutal treatment of African slaves? Or America's direct involvement of the murder of leaders, such as Allende, because he was a threat to their business interests? Or cut off contact with Israel, Russia, Turkey, Saudi Arabia and other middle Eastern countries, or Australia for their treatment of the native people and for the import of kidnapped English children who were sent there to be adopted or abused in children's homes? Or the Germans and Japanese? Or Chinese? Should we even stop having relations with ourselves because of our sometimes dark history in the colonies? Or are you selective about whom we should have relations with based on convenience, not morals?
    With respect, Stuffy..
    Last edited by IndoMike; 07 October 2017 at 10:57.