Page 156 of 167 FirstFirst ... 56106146154155156157158166 ... LastLast
Results 1,551 to 1,560 of 1665

Thread: General Election - 8thJune

Re: General Election - 8thJune

What it does do though is provide context to the bare statistic of numbers in employment, as well as flagging that at least some of the period in question (since 2013) is not solely attributable to the Tories. At least some of the policies in question would have been influenced by the Lib Dems (and without insight to the inner workings of the coalition cabinet, it would be difficult if not impossible for any of us to do anything other than speculate as to who was ultimately responsibly for what.)

At a very high level, I find it very hard to balance a lengthy period of austerity with "helping those who cannot help themselves". I'm not debating the merits of austerity or saying it wasn't the right thing to do, that's a different question altogether - but I think it is pretty clear that there have been a series of cuts and austerity measures imposed across several recent budgets (not only by the Conservatives) - and I struggle to then equate that to an altruistic motive.

I lived in Spain during the Blair tenure and was astounded by certain expats on the golf course boasting about making spurious disability benefit claims for 'a bad back' etc. it was rife at the time.

Something had to be done, and as it's a notoriously difficult area and where a reasonable middle ground should have been sought, arguably the pendulum has swung much too far the other way under the Tories.

Quote Originally Posted by elginCity View Post
    I lived in Spain during the Blair tenure and was astounded by certain expats on the golf course boasting about making spurious disability benefit claims for 'a bad back' etc. it was rife at the time.

Something had to be done, and as it's a notoriously difficult area and where a reasonable middle ground should have been sought, arguably the pendulum has swung much too far the other way under the Tories.
    I do agree a reasonable balance needs to be struck. My experience on the former was the first ordinary "Scouser" I encountered the first (and only) time I spent an overnight in Liverpool - in the sauna at the hotel, where he said to his mate about being signed off for another six months with a bad back - if ever someone was able to reinforce prejudice that was it!

The examples of benefit fraud above are related to people who are not disabled and should not distract from the situation regarding the people who are genuinely disabled, just as bankers, accountants etc who commit or enable fraud do not represent the vast majority of bankers and accountants.
    Regarding the disabled in employment, the stats show that the figure is improving in most Western democracies : you would expect this.
    However, we have to consider factors such as job quality, salaries etc., not just the basic percentage of disabled people in the workplace.

EU Response to Catalunia Referendum :
    Catalan vote was 'FIXED': Verhofstadt condemns ‘deception and manipulation’ of referendum

Further Comment from Verhofstadt
    A vision that the future and our people living in Spain lies in a multicultural, multilingual federal state embedded in a multicultural, multilingual federal Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason H View Post
    Or neither. Davis plans to retire fairly soon (he was overheard saying he'd be finishing up once Brexit is done), while Boris doesn't have the support of the MPs.

It won't be Amber Rudd, despite (or because of) her hiring of Lynton Crosby.

If Rory Stewart isn't prepared to have a face transplant, maybe have a cheeky fiver on Priti Patel. *Taps nose etc.*
    It won't be Amber Rudd because she only has a majority of 346 votes in her seat. As for Priti Patel, I just can't see her winning a majority. The bottom line is the Tories just want a leader who they think can win them a GE. Currently I can only see the one person, perhaps two. But, as you allude to, Davis is probably knocking on a bit now.

Further complications re WTO.
    Trump opposes EU-UK WTO deal in blow to May’s Brexit plans
    Move shows US likely to drive hard bargain as Britain navigates departure from Europe

Quote Originally Posted by IndoMike View Post
    Move shows US likely to drive hard bargain as Britain navigates departure from Europe
    Here's a link to this story in the FT (for subscribers) - https://www.ft.com/content/92bb5636-...5-27219df83c97

Quote Originally Posted by IndoMike View Post
    I always found it a bit ridiculous expecting any favours from Trump when he spent his entire campaign saying that any trade deal he signs would have to be heavily weighted towards America.