Page 155 of 226 FirstFirst ... 55105145153154155156157165205 ... LastLast
Results 1,541 to 1,550 of 2255

Thread: General Election - 8thJune

Re: General Election - 8thJune

Quote Originally Posted by IndoMike View Post
    Yes, Jason, I did realize that. But why wasn't that in her election campaign, and what exactly is the "British Dream" ? Can you clarify?
    I agree they could have come up with it during the election campaign instead of spending the whole time on Project Fear. The campaign team has changed since then.

Speeches during the week referred to it in terms of aspiration breeding success, opportunity for those who seek it, personal responsibility, helping those who can't help themselves, that sort of thing. Core conservative (small and big c!) values.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason H View Post
    I agree they could have come up with it during the election campaign instead of spending the whole time on Project Fear. The campaign team has changed since then.

Speeches during the week referred to it in terms of aspiration breeding success, opportunity for those who seek it, personal responsibility, helping those who can't help themselves, that sort of thing. Core conservative (small and big c!) values.
    Helping those who can't help themselves is a core conservative value? Surely you can't be serious?

Quote Originally Posted by Hermann View Post
    Helping those who can't help themselves is a core conservative value? Surely you can't be serious?
    It is, yes. It's very much part of why I decided to get involved.

I take it they'll be doing an about-turn on the Dubs Amendment and disability cuts then?

I take it they'll be doing an about-turn on the Dubs Amendment and disability cuts then?
    I think Jason means helping those who can help themselves. If Jason means providing the hook but not the fish, I'd like Jason to give precise examples, not the waffle that often comes from the Tory leadership. I mean real, practical help that they provide, not soundbites.

Maybe back in the days of Titus Salt, but even that was very much a self-benefit motivated social conservatism. Today, it's very hard to see signs of this in the conservative party in my view.

I'd hate to make the "There's none so blind..." argument here.

For IndoMike, one example: The number of registered disabled people in the UK in employment has risen to 3.5 million from 2.9 million in 2013, a sign that helping create conditions where it's possible for disabled people to have a steady job and income has worked.

For IndoMike, one example: The number of registered disabled people in the UK in employment has risen to 3.5 million from 2.9 million in 2013, a sign that helping create conditions where it's possible for disabled people to have a steady job and income has worked.
    It may be a tad harsh on the Tories, but I would say the primary motivation for shifting disabled people toward employment is not as altruistic as you suggest. Tory style welfare reform is primarily about saving money (not a bad thing) rather than "helping people who can't help themselves". A phrase that it is perhaps slightly insulting when talking about disabled people per se.

I agree with your first sentence completely, although perhaps we are thinking of different people as the subject

The New Statesman ran an excellent summary in 2015 of the Coalition (note - not just Tory) policies which affected disabled people - their headline summary branded it to be "pointlessly cruel"

I find it hard to spin that in any way to describe is as "helping those who can't help themselves".

https://www.newstatesman.com/politic...isabled-people

Quote Originally Posted by Terryhall View Post
    I agree with your first sentence completely, although perhaps we are thinking of different people as the subject

The New Statesman ran an excellent summary in 2015 of the Coalition (note - not just Tory) policies which affected disabled people - their headline summary branded it to be "pointlessly cruel"

I find it hard to spin that in any way to describe is as "helping those who can't help themselves".

https://www.newstatesman.com/politic...isabled-people
    I'd hate to play the man not the ball, but there are a large number of inaccuracies (starting with point 1 which was introduced under the previous Labour government!) as well as the usual tactic of highlighting individual examples to extrapolate to the whole.