Page 153 of 222 FirstFirst ... 53103143151152153154155163203 ... LastLast
Results 1,521 to 1,530 of 2213

Thread: General Election - 8thJune

Re: General Election - 8thJune

Quote Originally Posted by Jason H View Post
    To go back to this other story, I had a little read up around this, and apparently opinion polling on independence is/was very even, but when the question was narrowed in terms of this referendum and those "certain to vote" it swung heavily behind pro-independence. This suggests my inference that those not voting would break heavily down on the side of "no" to independence is probably quite accurate.

It also makes for some very "interesting" times ahead given the Catalonia President chappy has announced the intention to declare independence.
    Even with the no voters, there would still be 40% of the eligible voters voting for independence - more than voted for Leave / Brexit. Unless you expect another 2m voters to turnout who didn't before, and for them all to vote against independence, I'm not sure your argument holds.

You will also need to factor in those yes voters who wanted to vote, but were unable to, because of the polling stations closed by the authorities.

In short - it isn't possible to draw any clear inferences at all in respect of what the outcome of a legitimate referendum would be, without being horrifically skewed by confirmation bias to simply support your own pre-drawn conclusions.

I have no pre-drawn conclusions to support - I didn't even know this referendum was happening until it did!

The fact is the opinion polls were largely fairly neck and neck without the impact of the referendum.

It's interesting how all this is now panning out. As many people especially in the West have fallen on the wrong side of globalisation there is a palpable desire to break things down and put walls back up again. It's almost like we've been there, seen it, done it, didn't like it, let's go back to the old way.

It happened here, and why stop at the EU? I wouldn't be surprised if England voted to break away from the UK at some point. Then where do you go from there - an independent Kernow perhaps? It's kicking off in Spain and it'll be interesting to see how that goes; it's almost like a runaway train over there, I can't see how Madrid can stop it. I know Scotland voted to stay, but they're a canny bunch who know what side their bread is buttered.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Jinx View Post
    It's interesting how all this is now panning out. As many people especially in the West have fallen on the wrong side of globalisation there is a palpable desire to break things down and put walls back up again. It's almost like we've been there, seen it, done it, didn't like it, let's go back to the old way.

It happened here, and why stop at the EU? I wouldn't be surprised if England voted to break away from the UK at some point. Then where do you go from there - an independent Kernow perhaps? It's kicking off in Spain and it'll be interesting to see how that goes; it's almost like a runaway train over there, I can't see how Madrid can stop it. I know Scotland voted to stay, but they're a canny bunch who know what side their bread is buttered.
    I think it will depend on what side the EU eventually falls, but can't imagine them supporting independence for Catalunia. Spain of course will make life extremely difficult for Catalunia, but I don't think they'll go for a violent conclusion : that would be very bad politically. So I envisage a stalemate but with Catalunua getting seriously squeezed.

Quote Originally Posted by IndoMike View Post
    I think it will depend on what side the EU eventually falls, but can't imagine them supporting independence for Catalunia. Spain of course will make life extremely difficult for Catalunia, but I don't think they'll go for a violent conclusion : that would be very bad politically. So I envisage a stalemate but with Catalunua getting seriously squeezed.
    The EU has made it pretty clear that should Catalonia declare independence they can FRO if they think they'll be allowed to join the EU immediately.

I remember similar debates around that during the Scottish referendum, I'm sure Salmond and Krankie were clear they thought Scotland would immediately be admitted to the EU.

Whatever your opinion on the EU, they've had a pretty consistent line on people assuming they would be members automatically.

We are the grandchildren of apes, not angels

Back to domestic matters, almost (BUT NOT QUITE) felt sorry for poor old Teaser today.

As if the reversion back to Maybot v0.9 (the one pre "strong and stable") wasn't enough of an indignity - following the defection of former programmer in chief Lynton C to Project Amber even her aging voice module began to creak.

Hurrah then for Phil The Lurch, Chief Technical Assistant of the Treasury, who somehow managed to salvage enough of those mystical, magical "Original Lithium Ion Batteries" from the long defunct 1970s cellars of the once lauded "Manchester Poly" and feed them toward the sad, stuttering end.

As much as I don't like her and think she's a bloody awful politician, I think the P45 bit was inappropriate.

The letter falling off the slogan was quite funny though.

But on a serious note, Jason, please tell me Boris isn't going to get his grubby mitts on the top job.

Failing miserably to get into Stroudy's mind but somehow on the scoreboard

We know Hammond The Count is after Teaser’s job so did he slip a dodgy throat sweet ?

Quote Originally Posted by Jason H View Post
    The EU has made it pretty clear that should Catalonia declare independence they can FRO if they think they'll be allowed to join the EU immediately.

I remember similar debates around that during the Scottish referendum, I'm sure Salmond and Krankie were clear they thought Scotland would immediately be admitted to the EU.
    The EU can't support Catalunia. They would never want to upset Spain by siding with a region of Spain. The Scotland analogy is a bit different : the UK has chosen (just about) to leave the EU, whereas Spain hasn't.