Page 146 of 222 FirstFirst ... 4696136144145146147148156196 ... LastLast
Results 1,451 to 1,460 of 2213

Thread: General Election - 8thJune

Re: General Election - 8thJune

Quote Originally Posted by IndoMike View Post
    Stuffy,
    I agree that NATO and the power of the US (especially) has prevented Russia from being too naughty (although it hasn't stopped Russia from taking territory from the Ukraine). But the fact that the major Western European countries are joined at the hip has meant peace amongst them and not disturbed NATO. Imagine how bad it could have been otherwise.
    As the Yanks would say, we appreciate your military service in Germany and you guys did your bit to keep things safe. Regarding Russia, I think they'll keep niggling away as long as Putin is in power to see what they can get away with, but I doubt there will be total warfare between them and the West.
    Now I'm sending myself to sleep
    And sorry I forgot to mention Billy there.

Boris is certainly going all in right now. It will be interesting to see whether his relentless undermining of May and Davis for his own ends will work out.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermann View Post
    Boris is certainly going all in right now. It will be interesting to see whether his relentless undermining of May and Davis for his own ends will work out.
    Drip publishing these articles on the lead up to the party conference, attended by the rank and file whose choice of leader is... ?

Johnson is learning from Trump, has a similar base to draw upon, and while May's wobbly tightrope walking is looking increasingly weak, he's now ready to exploit it.

Regarding the ex-kipper, Farage, it's interesting, isn't it? 1.Farage was a prominent leader in the Leave campaign.
    2.Farage becomes buddy with Trump
    3.Farage is rumoured to have visited Julian Assange
    4.The Russians are strongly suspected of using Wikipedia to spread anti -Clinton propaganda
    5. The Russians will be as happy as Larry to see the UK leave the EU.
    6. Conclusion?
    A damn fine conspiracy theory ! Shudders.

Quote Originally Posted by elginCity View Post
    A damn fine conspiracy theory ! Shudders.
    Farage did visit Assange at the Ecuadorian embassy and was unable to explain why when questioned by journalists. The other points are also true. It's not a conspiracy theory : it's a list of facts from which you may make your own conclusions.

Farage did visit Assange at the Ecuadorian embassy and was unable to explain why when questioned by journalists. The other points are also true. It's not a conspiracy theory : it's a list of facts from which you may make your own conclusions.
    Hardly facts, bar point 1, it's a list of assertions, rumour and suspicion, all linked to Russian collusion.

Hardly facts, bar point 1, it's a list of assertions, rumour and suspicion, all linked to Russian collusion.
    Rubbish. They're all facts.

UKIP, as relevant as wearing a poppy in January.
    Originally made in the 20's by badly wounded soldiers on their return to 'civvy street'.

You'll be looking in vain if you expect "F*** the Tories", Jon Snow to be wearing one on his lapel next month.

I won't be expecting Jon Snow, or anybody else, to wear a poppy.

Personal choice is among the freedoms that you (and I) served to defend. UTC.

Stuffy,
    I agree that NATO and the power of the US (especially) has prevented Russia from being too naughty (although it hasn't stopped Russia from taking territory from the Ukraine).
    If you take a look at the 1945 western border of Russia at the end of the war (google it) you'll see that from top to bottom it reads: Estonia, Latvia, Belarus and the Ukraine. Now, all those were part of the USSR, which means the Russian border had a buffer of client states protecting it from a possible land/air invasion. Nowadays the only country that's fully aligned itself with Russia is Belarus, which means in all those former friendly countries, a potential enemy can cat butt up to the very fence posts that marks Russia's borderline. At the end of WW2 Britain suffered just under 400,000 fatalities, the USA just under 300,000, while Russia's casualties numbered an eye watering 20,000,000. Like Nigel Farage said: "If you poke the Russian bear with a stick you'll get a reaction".

1944 saw Stalin move 200,000 of the indigenous Tartars out of the Crimea and the Russian people in. In the 80's the Tartars were allowed to return, however, the Russian Language remained the dominant tongue which is why in a referendum in 2014 the populace voted to become Russian again.

As I've mentioned before now, The Crimea, during the time of the USSR, was a hotbed of military activity with dockyards and anchorage for the Mediterranean/Black Sea Fleet at Sevastopol. There are also 3 military airfields close-by. It would have been a grave dereliction of duty by the Russian generals, air marshals and admirals if they hadn't warned Putin of the gravity of allowing the Crimea to remain in Ukrainian hands especially if they fully joined the EU which could see French and German armed forces taking up residence. If the Empire building EU get involved in an unilateral war with the Ruskies they'll get their sorry arses kicked.