Page 145 of 226 FirstFirst ... 4595135143144145146147155195 ... LastLast
Results 1,441 to 1,450 of 2251

Thread: General Election - 8thJune

Re: General Election - 8thJune

Quote Originally Posted by Hermann View Post
    Generally those that blame the EU for our problems. UKIP, most of the Conservatives, Kate Hoey etc.
    That's what I thought you said, so now I can concur.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermann View Post
    Maybe for you, I'm quite happy with all of that. Particularly getting rid of imperial, that's a ridiculous system.
    In all fairness, don't you think that those of us that toddled down to the polling station to vote in the the 1975 referendum, deserved the clear and concise facts on what was on offer and how it would effect our lives and our country should we vote to stay in?

You may be happy with the ways things have panned out Hermann, but I, Bankys and the many others that voted in referendum 'No2' all those years ago, clearly feel that the wool was pulled over our eyes by sneaky politicians in order to get the result they wanted.

Failing miserably to get into Stroudy's mind but somehow on the scoreboard

Quote Originally Posted by Stuffy View Post
    In all fairness, don't you think that those of us that toddled down to the polling station to vote in the the 1975 referendum, deserved the clear and concise facts on what was on offer and how it would effect our lives and our country should we vote to stay in?

You may be happy with the ways things have panned out Hermann, but I, Bankys and the many others that voted in referendum 'No2' all those years ago, clearly feel that the wool was pulled over our eyes by sneaky politicians in order to get the result they wanted.

Agreed. We were lied to by Grocer Heath in particular and that other awful PM from the 1970's Harold Wilson. We were told we were joining a common market not something that would become a United States of Europe.

After the initial deceit we should have been offered the Referendum in the early 1990's before the Maastricht treaty was signed as by then the path where the EU (as it was renamed) was going was clear and well beyond a common market.

Quote Originally Posted by IndoMike View Post
    With the EU we have had 80 years of relative peace in Europe - a record. It's not perfect and some things need to be improved- but IMO the hubris of the Brits to want to go it alone is astonishing. Churchill supported the idea of a United States of Europe : if it was good enough for him then it's good enough for me. Churchill or Farage (and more about him later)?
    Mike, you and I think alike as our emails have shewn. However, that's total testicles!

I gotta be careful here because Stroudy once accused me of making him sleepy. The reality is that the peace you refer to is because of NATO (and a little bit of Me ). In the early 60's I was a heavy truck driver with 108/18 coy RASC with the Rhine Army. During my time there I was made aware that should the Warsaw Pact countries attack we would defend Germany as best we could although we were painfully aware that we would probably be overrun within 2 weeks if the supreme allied commander wasn't able to mobilize reinforcements in time. Because of the nature of warfare then all my driving was during the graveyard shift. Oh, and I was given a life expectancy of 2 days.

Of course you should. But equally we should have been given an informed choice in the recent referendum, not lies and scaremongering. I guess some things don't change.

♫ Deck your balls with boughs of holly, la la la la la, la la la la. ♫

... the Rhine Army. During my time there I was made aware that should the Warsaw Pact countries attack we would defend Germany as best we could although we were painfully aware that we would probably be overrun within 2 weeks ... and I was given a life expectancy of 2 days.
    'Twas still the same in the early 80s when I was there. In other news, am still very happy to have voted Leave and have seen nowt to dint that view.

Nine minutes was our life expectancy from the moment war broke out when I was stationed in West Germany. This was due to the proximity of the Soviet missile batteries in Magdeburg.

Must be the occupational burnout holding Treezer's feet to the fire, UKIP has announced next month's leader, code name 'October' for pub quiz goers everywhere.

UKIP, as relevant as wearing a poppy in January.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy The Fish View Post
    Nine minutes was our life expectancy from the moment war broke out when I was stationed in West Germany. This was due to the proximity of the Soviet missile batteries in Magdeburg.
    Mike, you and I think alike as our emails have shewn. However, that's total testicles!

I gotta be careful here because Stroudy once accused me of making him sleepy. The reality is that the peace you refer to is because of NATO (and a little bit of Me ). In the early 60's I was a heavy truck driver with 108/18 coy RASC with the Rhine Army. During my time there I was made aware that should the Warsaw Pact countries attack we would defend Germany as best we could although we were painfully aware that we would probably be overrun within 2 weeks if the supreme allied commander wasn't able to mobilize reinforcements in time. Because of the nature of warfare then all my driving was during the graveyard shift. Oh, and I was given a life expectancy of 2 days.
    Stuffy,
    I agree that NATO and the power of the US (especially) has prevented Russia from being too naughty (although it hasn't stopped Russia from taking territory from the Ukraine). But the fact that the major Western European countries are joined at the hip has meant peace amongst them and not disturbed NATO. Imagine how bad it could have been otherwise.
    As the Yanks would say, we appreciate your military service in Germany and you guys did your bit to keep things safe. Regarding Russia, I think they'll keep niggling away as long as Putin is in power to see what they can get away with, but I doubt there will be total warfare between them and the West.
    Now I'm sending myself to sleep

Quote Originally Posted by elginCity View Post
    Must be the occupational burnout holding Treezer's feet to the fire, UKIP has announced next month's leader, code name 'October' for pub quiz goers everywhere.

UKIP, as relevant as wearing a poppy in January.
    Regarding the ex-kipper, Farage, it's interesting, isn't it? 1.Farage was a prominent leader in the Leave campaign.
    2.Farage becomes buddy with Trump
    3.Farage is rumoured to have visited Julian Assange
    4.The Russians are strongly suspected of using Wikipedia to spread anti -Clinton propaganda
    5. The Russians will be as happy as Larry to see the UK leave the EU.
    6. Conclusion?
    Last edited by IndoMike; 29 September 2017 at 23:44.