Page 140 of 167 FirstFirst ... 4090130138139140141142150 ... LastLast
Results 1,391 to 1,400 of 1664

Thread: General Election - 8thJune

Re: General Election - 8thJune

The BBC DG was spotted wailing about having "lost" the EU referendum.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuffy View Post
    Hmm, Am I right in thinking that Murdoch's "The Sunday Times" is very much a 'leave' paper while his, "The Times" is all for remain? I know it's fashionable for the left to give Murdoch a good shoeing but in all honesty we need some clarity on this one.

Another title that's pro-brexit and continually vilified by the left is the Daily Mail, however, it's sister paper the Mail on Sunday (editors who hate each other) is very much a pro- remain. One of the MoS' collumnist is Dan Hodges who's mother was former Labour MP Glenda Jackson. Hodges an on and off Labour Party Member and an official of the GMB Union has written articles for several papers including the Guardian and New Statesman.

Incidentally, following the Graun saying that the BBC was "palpably left wing" we had Julia Hartley-Brewer saying on Question Time that, "Once again I'm the sole 'leaver' on a BBC panel". David Dimbleby cut in querying if she had been on a panel with Nigel Farage? She replied that at no time had she been on a panel that included Farage as a fellow guest which kinda 'Bombed' Dimbleby out (pun intended Mike).
    Stuffy, I've always understood that the Sun, the Daily Mail, the Telegraph, the Financial Times and the Times were pro-Conservative, although I believe one or two switched their allegiance in the Blair years. I'm guessing the readership of the aforementioned papers is greater than the readership of the remaining pro-Labour papers. Regarding Murdoch, IINM his group is owner of the pretty right-wing Fox News and the Sun, which to me supports what I said, although I confess living in the middle of the jungle might result in me being a bit out of date. So I might be wrong in some areas. Regarding the BBC, as I stated above, I don't really know.

Quote Originally Posted by IndoMike View Post
    Stuffy, I've always understood that the Sun, the Daily Mail, the Telegraph, the Financial Times and the Times were pro-Conservative, although I believe one or two switched their allegiance in the Blair years. I'm guessing the readership of the aforementioned papers is greater than the readership of the remaining pro-Labour papers. Regarding Murdoch, IINM his group is owner of the pretty right-wing Fox News and the Sun, which to me supports what I said, although I confess living in the middle of the jungle might result in me being a bit out of date. So I might be wrong in some areas. Regarding the BBC, as I stated above, I don't really know.
    I forgot the Daily Express.

Most people do.

Always keep a spare roll of Andrex handy, should that ever happen.

Quote Originally Posted by iscalad View Post
    Most people do.
    What a rag that has become..Beaverbrook must be spinning in his grave..

Quote Originally Posted by Jason H View Post
    The printed press is *largely* pro-Conservative (albeit nuanced at times), but if that's what shifts papers then so be it.

As for the TV media, even the Grauniad described the BBC as "palpably left wing".
    Interesting this.
    Culturally, the BBC could be labelled left wing.
    I'd say it was trying to stay ahead of the cultural curve but then I'm a Guardian reading lefty

I don't think BBC political coverage is left wing at all.
    I think it strives to be neutral and all credit to it for that but when you consider the likes of the Today programme (ex editor Rod Liddle now a right wing attack dog), Daily Politics (main presenter Andrew Neil - Sunday Times. Telegraph, Spectator), Newsnight (ex presenter Jeremy Paxman approached by the Tories as a possible candidate), the last BBC politics chief Robbie Gibb becoming Teresa May's director of communications.

Well .......
    Last edited by Spoonz Red E; 27 September 2017 at 17:43.

Difficult to consider the BBC as "neutral".

Regarding the Daily Express, I look at it for a) Rupert Bear and b) the puzzle page. And for the complete absence of anything complimentary towards Jeremy Corbyn.

Quote Originally Posted by Grecian2K View Post
    Poor old Teaser.

She May have thought (mistakenly) back in the spring that she had the public behind her. Events proved not.
    Mrs May would have walked the election if she kept under wraps that some pensioners (not all) might lose their winter fuel allowance. Why did she do that? The UK has to borrow a staggering 50bn (and rising) in 2017. Some on these pages (they know who they are) were very vocal about the money pensioners were perceived to be getting compared to what young people received.The Labour Party who, despite the alarm bells ringing about our colossal balance of payments deficit of 7% GDP, meaning that we have a standard of living 7% higher than we are earning, has pledged to keep the winter fuel allowance without any changes. That's where Labour's extra votes came from. It's factotum madness!

As for Mrs May, she pledged to honour the democratic referendum in spite of being a remainer. That's the true face of democracy that many supposedly of the people would deny the people.

Meanwhile Jeremy Corbyn a brexiteer since 1975, who now relishes power like a latter-day Richard the Third said this...

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/oliv...b_9689982.html

Quote Originally Posted by iscalad View Post
    Most people do.
    That explains it.