• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

New song (record) about City

thermopylai

Its a well known fact that all rock/pop songs about football are ****. Well, then I realised that I've been writing **** songs for years, so I put two and two together and got a very bad (!) idea... We recorded a song that we will release as a single (digital, 7" vinyl and CD single) on our own label, with profits split between the Trust and the Stanno Foundation. The vinyl and CD will be special collectors editions.

I ran the song past several people at the club, and the response was pretty positive. We edited out a few lines that were (quite reasonably) deemed a little over the top.

Ideally we'd like to release it for the end of the season, which would work even better if we make the play offs. So I decided - nervously - to post a demo of the track here (I am all too aware of the maulings regularly dished out on Exeweb, so I know what to expect!).

I am also looking for anyone who might be able to help, firstly, with making a video (I was thinking a montage sort of thing); and secondly, someone with some graphic desgin skills who could help with the 7" and CD covers. We want to make these quality collectable items. I know there are some very skilled people on here - I remember the T Shirts Egg produced a couple of years back.

Finally, I had the idea of having a subscriber/pre purchase, in which supporters who pledge to buy the physical versions will be listed on the record cover. However we would have to do this asap, as we need to start pressing the records very soon.

All ideas, suggestions and criticisms welcome (and expected). The song itself owes a more than a little to our obsession with 60s garage (if anyone still knows what that means).

https://soundcloud.com/jacques-defoe/city-til-i-die-1

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Well I made it through to the end without retching - great retro sound there.

feverpitch

Well-known Exeweb poster
Pleasantly surprised (y) [ecfc]

That's 2017/18's league one run-out music sorted then!

*goes for a lie down*

iscalad

Very well known Exeweb poster
OMG, I actually quite liked it. Also going for a lie down. Hasten to add, not with Fever.

feverpitch

Well-known Exeweb poster
OMG, I actually quite liked it. Also going for a lie down. Hasten to add, not with Fever.
That's how rumours start. :eek:

Therm, I've sent you a pm.

RaeUK

Cleaner
Staff member
Well, that's by far the best City song I've heard. Really rather excellent (and I'm not known for liking much music). I'd go and have a lie down but there doesn't appear to be much room. :)

A Slacker

That is a great track, even better than Fred Binney's 45 from the 70's.

GrecianInWales

Blimey, that's quite good. Avoids the novelty trap that most football records fall into. I'd happily listen to that again.

On a slight tangent (sorry), have Exeter City ever been mentioned in a song not specifically recorded about the club. There's a cracking discussion that's been going on in the When Saturday Comes letter pages over the past few months of songs that reference footballers or football clubs, but I'm unaware of anything City related?

Although Half Man Half Biscuit did once sing about Westward Ho!

LOG

The Beloved mentioned Vince Hilaire in Hello.

Grecian2K

That
Is
Really
Rather
Magnificent

Thank you, Thermoman (y)