• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Promotion and Play offs Points needed

Information

I know past performance is no guarantee

BUT

Here are the points which would have been enough to get into play offs in League 2 in the last 6 seasons

And for the optimistic, the points to have been automatically promoted

So today we have 54 points with 12 games left ,only 5 of which are away.

So Target 1 is another 14 points to get to 68 which should make 7th place

And the other target is 28 points in 12 games !!!

Last edited:

antman

Well-known Exeweb poster
Ited

,only 5 of which are away.[/COLOR]

So]

To be honest we could do with them all being away

I know past performance is no guarantee

BUT

Here are the points which would have been enough to get into play offs in League 2 in the last 6 seasons

These points are ... "The points that would have been needed to get one more point that eighth place" ... that doesn't mean you would make seventh.

I've been doing some number crunching based on the 85 completed football league seasons with 24 teams since 3pts for a win ... I'll try & upload some graphs in the next couple of days, but some numbers from these 85 seasons ...

63 points has never given a top seven finish, 66 is the lowest points tally to give a 7th place finish.
70 points will give just over 50% chance of top 7 finish.
72 points gives an 80+% so I think this should be the initial target "which should make 7th place" - so 18 points from 12?

Top 3 Finish ... has occurred with 72 points ... but the 50% make is reached around the 79-81 points & twice 88 points has failed to give a top three finish!

Of course every season is different & every point could be significant.

muppetdodger

The way this league is shaping up imho I think it will be a below average total needed for either this year. I think 12-14 for playoffs, 24 for autos. Could be very wrong though. Autos is a tough ask, but you never know!

denzel

Very well known Exeweb poster
Win the lot and we will get 90 points which should be enough for the title..

I'll get my coat

richard_portland

Very well known Exeweb poster
Backing Gary Caldwell, thanks Matt and good luck.
I think we need to be aiming to win at least half of the games. That would give us 72 with hopefully two or three draws from the ones we don't win, would hope that would get us play offs. Am hoping also that if the table stays fairly congested in the top half that sides could take points off each other to keep the total needed low.

A lot of winnable games to come at home , and with us being unbeaten at home since November if we can beat Accrington we could go on to win a fair few of the run in. Six pointers to come against Luton, Mansfield Doncaster and Carlisle, and maybe Cambridge if their form picks up. Wins in any of these would be big, but if we could draw majority of them we also take points off the opponents.

To get autos think we want minimum two points per game from here on in.

Information

These points are ... "The points that would have been needed to get one more point that eighth place" ... that doesn't mean you would make seventh.
Sorry to disagree
But in any table
If you have one more point than the team in 8th
Then you are in Top 7 !!!

If the 7th team finished with 71 and the 8th team finished with 68

Then 69 points would have sealed a play off spot

Last edited:

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
No it wouldn't, it would have sealed 8th.

Information

Have a think about it.
If you have more points than team in 8th

Then you are 7th

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
No you're not, you take 8th place from them and they become 9th. The team in 7th still has the number of points that got them into 7th.