• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Marmalade

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
I was disappointed to read in the paper that sales of Marmalade are declining and that the product is eschewed by the younger generation. A particular dislike of our youngsters is the "bits" in the aforementioned marmalade. I guess they are too idle to chew the bits. Marmalade without the bits is not really marmalade as I understand the term.

What do people on here think of marmalade ? Any particular brands or flavours etc. ?

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Never a fan of orange marmalade, too bitter. Liked the lemon version, Silver Shred by Robertsons (??), and even better the shredless version. Never been too keen on the bits and I'm probably not one of the youngsters.

RaeUK

Cleaner
Staff member
Frank Cooper's Oxford Coarse Cut marmalade for me. (y)

Alistair20000

Rae identifies a good one. (y)

I like to buy at village fetes, shows etc as you find some interesting varieties. Generally the larger/coarser the "bits" the better.

I love marmalade me.

contrabombarde

Frank Cooper's Oxford Coarse Cut marmalade for me. (y)
I entirely endorse your taste Rae and with the Nescafe Gold blend coffee too. Back to marmalade, I love the stuff and can never understand having spent a lot of time in the Mediterranean countries where there is a surplus of oranges why you can't get marmalade.

fred binneys head

I'm a fan of marmalade but prefer the thin cut. Favourite flavour is lemon and lime.

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
Mer malade is French for sea sickness and that's what the stuff looks and tastes like.

Could be an urban myth though...

Steve H

As a child I always considered marmalade was what posh people ate rather than strawberry jam....

StroudGrecian

OK, I'll bite - or rather I won't.

On average, marmalade is 94.7% sugar.

It has no place in the 21st century.

Thread closed.

Last edited:

elginCity

Reckon you've put the '6' upside down on purpose, misery guts.

60% sugar, thinly spread, a jar can last for weeks. Another of life's simple, if guilty, pleasures.