• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Suggestions re: ECFC Salvation

Legohead

Banned
Apologies Mods if this is in the incorrect place and please move if it so but as a relatively new follower of the club and living out of the area, i'm interested in the events leading up to and following the time when the club was saved and taken over by the fans trust. I'd like to know more about it, what happened, the reasons, who was involved and how it all unfolded and how the club was salvaged really. Does anyone know if there are any books published on it that can be recommended or any particular web pages anywhere that could tell the story?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Mr Jan Yeo

Well-known Exeweb poster

Last edited:

STURTZ

Very well known Exeweb poster
Don't think you'll get much information in these parts Legohead. Maybe a whispered comment, a sigh and a faraway look but some folk round here are not too proud of some of the events surrounding those heady, mysterious times. I may be able to put you in touch with somebody that was right there at the start of The Trust but he very really goes out these days and tends to keep himself to himself. Oh he's o.k. but I doubt he'll ever be the man that took us into what we know as "Back Then", The battle may be over but the scars run deep.

They do say that if you go up onto The Moor on a clear night and stand where The Chuff meets The Poo you can sometimes hear the moans of the creditors in the troubled waters and see the face Ivor Doble in the ancient oak tree (don't know if it's at all relevant to your research but you can anyway).

Exehausted

Or if you want to, type Exeter City- Conference Call into youtube and watch the two documentaries. They give a real flavour of the dark times

Legohead

Banned
Thanks so much for the replies all.

STURTZ. Am I right to decipher from your post that not everyone was / is happy with fan ownership / trust run club then?. I must say that surprises me but that's my own personal opinion. I'll have a look at those recommended sites mentioned kindly by Mr Jan Yeo and Exhausted and hopefully give myself a bit more knowledge on the recent history of the club.

David Treharne

There's an article in "Soccer and Society" Volume 17 No 5 September 2016 which is an over-view of the Trust takeover and the Club and an assessment of what it meant for the Club in 2013. For another account see "Punk Football" by Jim Keoghan Chapter 6 is about Exeter City and there's an overview of the Trust movement, which includes another assessment of where Trust Owned Clubs are.

By -the- by I sincerely hope that our Trust will be supportive of the Blackpool fans who travel to us next week. There are horrible similarities in the process that is going on there with what happened at Exeter around 2002-2003, although their owners are considerably better off than ours ever were. They deserve our support for their Trust.

Legohead

Banned
Managed to trawl through some of the past threads regarding the club, trust and the 'terrible trio' :(

Some very, very interesting and passionate fans out there with some eye opening posts. Some funny lads out there too. (rofl)

I am slowly beginning to grasp the nettle here as regards the core issues currently concerning some Grecians fans and I have to say i'm a little shocked at just how sour such an amazing achievement such as pulling together to save a football club can get. If some posters are to be believed.

I don't really feel qualified to have an opinion either way at the minute as I haven't been watching long enough but i'm starting to get to many games now and hopefully learn a lot more as I go along.

Thanks for the replies though again.