• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Changes to Grecian Travel rules for under-18s

At the last Supporters Club Committee meeting, having taken guidance on 'safeguarding of children' it was unanimously decided that we would adjust the rules for under 18 travel with Grecian Travel. The new rules come into immediate effect and next applies to the trip to Portsmouth on January 28th If you are under 18 and wish to use the services of Grecian Travel please ensure you have read the article below. There will be no exceptions to the new rules. Thank You.

http://www.exetercityfc.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/changes-to-grecian-travel-rules-for-under-18s-3523599.aspx

Grecian O'Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
What were the reasons behind this decision? From the outside, it seems a bit harsh on the kids, whom most likely won't be able to afford travelling to games by train.

Last edited:

les.gtfc

What were the reasons behind this decision? From the outside, it seems a bit harsh on the kids, whom most likely won't be able to afford travelling to games by train.
Under 18 does seem a bit harsh. Under 16 I could understand.

Avening Posse

Very well known Exeweb poster
Don't get this at all ?

sumner7

Administrator
Staff member
Under 18 does seem a bit harsh. Under 16 I could understand.
With you on that one Les.

As I said on FB, I know you've got to be careful in this day and age, but surely making the rule under-16 rather than under-18 would make more sense. Most 16 and 17 year olds aren't stupid enough to misbehave surely (granted I know you get the odd few). Perhaps a 'one strike and out' rule would work better?

I can see where they're coming from, but this isn't the best way they could have gone about it imo. The younger supporters are the lifeblood of the club - let's not alienate them, please.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
I suspect it'd down to the new guidance on safeguarding children, for example the September 2016 "Keeping Children Safe in Education" document - as 18 is now the official school leaving age, safeguarding rules need to apply equally.

les.gtfc

I suspect it'd down to the new guidance on safeguarding children, for example the September 2016 "Keeping Children Safe in Education" document - as 18 is now the official school leaving age, safeguarding rules need to apply equally.

The official school leaving age is still 16.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
[/B]
The official school leaving age is still 16.
Clumsy wording on my part. You must remain in "education" until 18.

Leads

That's a massive shame. I used to travel on a regular basis from the age of 15 on the "Jubby" bus without any bother. There seemed to be loads of U18s at Grimsby, many of whom travelled up on the coach. I think it will have a deterimental impact on atmosphere at away games.

RyanPugh

This is gutting, meaning I won't be able to use Grecian Travel until the 2018/19 season. Trains get expensive for trips further than Bristol.