• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Cricket 2017

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
I enjoyed the Cidermen recovering from 22-5 leaving Sorry to haul their sorry arses back to Lundin with their tails between their legs. (rofl)
We don't win many trophies but we have some great days! :)

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
Another good day for Somerset who are now bossing the Southern Group in the 50 over competition. (flex)

Unfortunately I missed nearly all the Kent innings including a brutal century from Alex Blake to make up for a start that was far too slow. Hard for him and the other century maker Bell-Drummond to be on the losing side.

Excellent century from Peter Trego in a well paced, clinical and efficient chase by the Cidermen to win comfortably. Good support from Elgar and Hildreth with Hose finishing the job with some beautiful shots. I thought Kent's bowling was decidedly average with no real attempt to take wickets. They seemed to think that if they bowled tidily they would defend the 352 posted. It now seems 400 might be needed in one of these 50 over jobs at the County Ground on a sunny day to be competetive.

Looking forward to Somerset v Hampshire next week with a trip to the Ageas tomorrow first to see if they can continue to inflict misery on Jason's bauys in this format.

Alistair20000

Jason's bauys bit back and stuffed Hampshire a good 'un :(

A horrid day to watch cricket as it was miserable weather all day and ridiculously feckin' cold. The Sky pictures showed blue sky on the big screen when it was as grey as John Major.

Added to that it was a typical Ageas pitch, but strangely scabby looking, slow, nothing much in it for the bowlers and not conducive to stroke play. A day for the nurdlers and explains why Middlesex failed to get the 350+ that looked on the cards at 170 odd for 1. I thought their score was a bit under par with big boundaries as lots of 2's and 3's could be run and would not be defendable unless Hampshire's batsman fooked up...........which they proceeded to do.

Gubbins used the conditions perfectly in what proved the match winning batting performance. On the bowling side Toby Rowland-Jones blew the clueless Hampshire top order away by bowling very tight, giving nothing away and inducing some horrid shots. The Bailey/Ervine partnership showed how it should be done but by then the drizzle was threatening, Middlesex were way ahead on D/L and Ervine and Berg got out in the futile attempt to catch up. The D/L goes up dramatically with a wicket going down in this format; by more that 20 runs each time for the early wickets. Cannot really fathom that.

I don't see either of these teams getting out of the group in the 50 over gig on the basis of the game yesterday.

manc grecian

Anybody want a ticket for the champions trophy game against Australia at Edgbaston. Ticket is £40 and have train ticket for £37 if travelling from Exeter.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Kumar Sangakkara, 53, has just brought up his fifth ton in successive innings.

Legohead

Banned
Just wondered which county Devonians supported when it comes to the cricket? Obviously Devon are minor counties but I know a few folk who go and watch Somerset simply because it's near. I'm a Yorkshire fan but sometimes go and watch Derbyshire, especially when they play around the corner from my house here at Queens Park, Chesterfield.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Big Sussex fan here. But can't really be bothered to go. Bit shocked at the price of as ticket at Lords for the upcoming test!

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
Just wondered which county Devonians supported when it comes to the cricket?
This Devonian has supported Somerset for a long, long time.

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
Good recovery by Somerset from 80 for 5. Some of the batters still can't score a run, though.

Alistair20000

Good recovery by Somerset from 80 for 5. Some of the batters still can't score a run, though.
Agreed, the batting is a problem and preparing a pitch for the spinners blew up in Somerset's face against Hampshire. The weather may prevent a win against Middlesex though.