• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Cricket 2017

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
South Africa cricket rocked by Kyle Abbott and Rilee Rossouw signing up to long term deals to play for Hampshire.

While pleased that Hampshire have strengthened I have mixed feelings on this news. Firstly, they are both signed on Kolpak terms and this will limit the availability of home grown players to play and develop. Secondly, it may imply that Michael Carberry will not be able to resume his career following the cancer diagnosis last summer. No news that I can see as to his recovery which is concerning.

donkey

Wiese signing for Sussex on Kolpak deal also, the sooner a way is found to stop these deals the better.
As for Carberry, he's been doing work for Channel 5's weekly Big Bash game and I think for BT also. Hopefully on the way to a full recovery.

Alistair20000

Wiese signing for Sussex on Kolpak deal also, the sooner a way is found to stop these deals the better.
As for Carberry, he's been doing work for Channel 5's weekly Big Bash game and I think for BT also. Hopefully on the way to a full recovery.
Thanks for that info re Carbs. (y) I have not been following the Big Bash.

Bittners a Legend

Largely agree with you Al. It might be good for the standard of county cricket/Hampshire to have some more international quality players in it but hard to see how it won't limit opportunities for players eligible to play for England and if it sets a precedent for other counties it is a bad thing.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
There does seem to be a bit of a sudden house of cards amongst young SA talent binning off their international careers to join the plod on the county circuit. Having the odd player can enhance the quality of the young English talent who could learn playing alongside better players, but there is a balance that needs to be struck.

Incidentally Middx have been hard at work tying down the squad to long-term deals and have also brought Adam Voges back as overseas player now his brief tenure in the Aus side appears to have ended.

grecian greg

Well-known Exeweb poster
I can't wait to see the season begin. After not realising that my membership had already come in the post (luckily found them in the end),my countdown to the start has started. However I shall not be braving the preseason stuff at Taunton Vale as my extremities gave only just recovered from the Arctic conditions last year! Good luck to Tom Abell in his first year of captaincy and welcome to Steve Davies and Dean Elgar. It will be interesting to see how Tom copes with the leadership of the side and with opening the batting. He wouldn't have been my first choice because in my eyes he hasn't had first team experience for very long, but I guess we have to give him a fair crack and wish him all the best.

Alistair20000

I can't wait to see the season begin. After not realising that my membership had already come in the post (luckily found them in the end),my countdown to the start has started. However I shall not be braving the preseason stuff at Taunton Vale as my extremities gave only just recovered from the Arctic conditions last year! Good luck to Tom Abell in his first year of captaincy and welcome to Steve Davies and Dean Elgar. It will be interesting to see how Tom copes with the leadership of the side and with opening the batting. He wouldn't have been my first choice because in my eyes he hasn't had first team experience for very long, but I guess we have to give him a fair crack and wish him all the best.
Nice to have you posting again chap. (y)

I agree with you on the captaincy point but maybe he will grow into the job. It has not really worked out that well for James Vince at Hampshire and he was rather more experienced.

Look forward to seeing you at the County Ground when the weather warms up.

Alistair20000

Incidentally Middx have been hard at work tying down the squad to long-term deals and have also brought Adam Voges back as overseas player now his brief tenure in the Aus side appears to have ended.
What is the info on Hampshire prising away George Bailey for 2017 Jason ? Is the swap with Voges a positive or negative ? TBH I was a bit "meh" about him when he played for Hampshire in 2013.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
What is the info on Hampshire prising away George Bailey for 2017 Jason ? Is the swap with Voges a positive or negative ? TBH I was a bit "meh" about him when he played for Hampshire in 2013.
Bailey did reasonably well for us but Voges was generally different class, when he wasn't looking the wrong way and being beaned from balls thrown back from the boundary anyway.

I'm confident that with the squad we have in place, including Tom Helm waiting to burst through the ranks in our already decent bowling attack, we'll provide a strong defence of our title.

Alistair20000

Bailey did reasonably well for us but Voges was generally different class, when he wasn't looking the wrong way and being beaned from balls thrown back from the boundary anyway.

I'm confident that with the squad we have in place, including Tom Helm waiting to burst through the ranks in our already decent bowling attack, we'll provide a strong defence of our title.
Curious how the merry go round of players to clubs and the memory work. I was underwhelmed by Voges when he played for Hampshire but shocked to see it was all of 10 years ago.

I am sure your boys will put up a strong showing in the 4 day format, especially as you have a decent bowling unit that can snaffle 20 wickets. Not so sure on the white ball formats mind.