• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

David Wheeler

Red Devon

Very well known Exeweb poster
With all the talk about Olie Watkins....could we find ourselves fending off bids from big spending League 1, League 2 clubs for David Wheeler considering his excellent form at the moment if so what would be his value??

Avening Posse

Very difficult to call ?, his asthma may put some off, and has been a bit injury prone thus far, might be seen as a risk in terms of significant money, but clearly the raw ability is there. I would be surprised if anybody offered more than, say, 200K for him though. I think JMT and Pym might attract interest though

Moomin Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Possibly but I get the feeling that he may walk on a free in the summer as his deal is up then. If he were to sign a new contract I'd put his value in the £150k area but he's always been a bit too inconsistent for me to make it higher than L1.

He's on 8 goals in all comps so he's on course for 12-15 which will get teams interested and after 4 years here he may fancy a new challenge.

Red Devon

Possibly but I get the feeling that he may walk on a free in the summer as his deal is up then. If he were to sign a new contract I'd put his value in the £150k area but he's always been a bit too inconsistent for me to make it higher than L1.

He's on 8 goals in all comps so he's on course for 12-15 which will get teams interested and after 4 years here he may fancy a new challenge.
Just think he could interest someone like Oxford, Portsmouth, Peterborough etc

IndoMike

I'd keep him. Any bids for players less than 250k for a youngish player who clearly has talent are not worth considering. If he goes you only have to replace, and that costs money, too. Keep him and top up his salary.

Gordon Dale

Red Devon : I concur. There are SO many talented youngsters apart from Watkins and Ampadu. JMT , Jordan Tillson and young Sparks to mention just three! There are others waiting in the wings.

My fear is that there will be a raid to induce some of our talent to leave in the January 'window' .

Hopefully not ...because it would be scant reward for the faithful supporters who have stuck by the club over the past 5/6 years in the hope that the youngsters would eventually come through to form the bedrock of a successful side.

Anonymous

Well-known Exeweb poster
Wheeler would be undervalued at 250k imo.

Nearer 500k would be more like it. Quality league player with his best years still to come.

STURTZ

Sell Watkins and Wheeler, Holmes injured, season over.

Grecian O'Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Wheeler would be undervalued at 250k imo.

Nearer 500k would be more like it. Quality league player with his best years still to come.
Out of contract in the Summer though, isn't he?

Suspect he'll walk away on a free.

budegrecian

Out of contract in the Summer though, isn't he?

Suspect he'll walk away on a free.
If you're correct, & I've no reason to doubt you, it puts the club in a difficult position: Do we take, say, £250k & harm our possible play off chances, or hold on to him until the end of the season when he walks for nothing.
Whichever they do, Tis & Co will be blamed by some for making the wrong decision. Hopefully he's offered & signs a new contract in the near future. Fingers crossed....