• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Development of established first team players

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
There are people who still consider Tisdale to be a good coach, if you look at the players who have been in our first team for several seasons I don't see much improvement, the likes of Wheeler, Harley, JMT.

David Wheeler has gone backwards imho, when he arrived he was a raw winger with plenty of pace and aggression, he may have improved a few technical aspects of his game however is he the same threat ? He rarely seems to take players on these days and seems to have really gone into his shell under the guidance of Tisdale.

Look at someone like Liam Sercombe, he banged the goals in once he joined Oxford and was a massive part of their promotion, at Exeter he was a 4 - 5 goal a season man who never seemed to kick on.

For me Reuben Reid has been our best player since he joined, the question is whether he will go backwards under the guidance of Paul Tisdale.

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
Hopefully Reuben is a sufficiently experienced enough pro to survive the idiosyncrasies of the training and development regime of The Cheese.

Will be interesting to see when he is tried at left back.

chunkymorrinmunter

There are people who still consider Tisdale to be a good coach, if you look at the players who have been in our first team for several seasons I don't see much improvement, the likes of Wheeler, Harley, JMT.

David Wheeler has gone backwards imho, when he arrived he was a raw winger with plenty of pace and aggression, he may have improved a few technical aspects of his game however is he the same threat ? He rarely seems to take players on these days and seems to have really gone into his shell under the guidance of Tisdale.

Look at someone like Liam Sercombe, he banged the goals in once he joined Oxford and was a massive part of their promotion, at Exeter he was a 4 - 5 goal a season man who never seemed to kick on.

For me Reuben Reid has been our best player since he joined, the question is whether he will go backwards under the guidance of Paul Tisdale.
Absolutely right about Wheeler,seems to have lost his appetite for the game.going thru the motions ,he hasn't kicked on at all,even allowing for Injuries

Banksy

Answer to last para of opening post = yes....

Tisdale likes to coach any 'raw abity' out of players. Having said that he isn't alone in this, it is a sad trend in modern football to strike out any youthful exuberance and talent and change it to a well drilled robot. Prime example was Joe Cole. Had a good career but if had been left to develop his natural talent he would have been so much more.

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
Absolutely right about Wheeler,seems to have lost his appetite for the game.going thru the motions ,he hasn't kicked on at all,even allowing for Injuries
For some time when he first joined us I thought he flattered to receive. Then he really hit form and I think we were all pleased that we managed to keep him. However since signing his new contract he has not been the same player.

manc grecian

Watched Wheeler closely on Saturday and in the first five minutes he had a chance to knock the ball past his full back and see if he had the beating of him. He cut inside and passed it square. Pace and power are his main attributes but someone has told him not to bother with that part of his game.

His first touch has improved though.

Alistair20000

As regards David Wheeler, he has not really been the same since his personal difficulties. I hope he has not been actively discouraged from using his pace and power.

Last edited:

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
he has not really been the same since his personal difficulties
May I ask what they were ?

Alistair20000

May I ask what they were ?
I am not sure if the details were made public.