• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Football Manager 2017

Joshyd123

Very well known Exeweb poster
Anyone getting this?

Downloaded the game off Steam last night and got the Beta version playing at the mo. Naturally started a career with Exeter to see if we are still ranked as perennial underachievers in League 2, or whether they have finally realised we actually have some decent players so should, on paper anyway, be a shot at playoffs.

Just got to January. Knocked out of the Checkatrade Trophy at group stage after being drawn with Newport, AFC Wimbledon and West Ham Under 23s. Lost to Brighton in the first round of the EFL Cup and went out to Gillingham in the FA Cup 2nd round after beating Rochdale away in round 1.

League form however, that's where the problem lies. Started the season with a conventional 4-2-3-1 formation, Reid (McAlinden as back up) leading the line with 3 from Taylor, Watkins, Reid, Grant, Holmes and Wheeler behind him, injuries permitted because I seem to have had 4 or 5 at any one time during the season still! At least it's realistic in that aspect... Beat Blackpool away first game and thought 'here we go, the start of something special,' but that optimism was short lived after 6 or 7 defeats in the next 8 or 9 games put me in the bottom 2 (sound familiar?)

A brainwave, coupled with the players I've signed made me revert to wingbacks in a 5-2-1-2 formation. 6 games later and I've won 5 of them, even some at home, and have managed to claw myself back up to midtable thanks to Reuben Reid knocking in 8 in these games.

Bloody challenging really because I have absolutely no money and have already been placed under 2 transfer embargos in 6 months for going over wage budget. If only someone wants to bid stupid money for Ollie Watkins!

On a side note, Liam McAlinden is a Billy big balls. Offered him a new contract to be given these demands in return - ''I want you to sign better players. I want this club to let me leave for £250k. I want the club to know I'm not hanging around and it'll only be as a stepping stone.'' Great, thanks.

Let's see how it goes and hopefully some of you share your stories too!

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
I'm still running trusty old FM 2011, with 100 year old Jason H embarking on City's 41st consecutive Premier League season (highest finish 3rd, currently mid-table fodder), but am very tempted to get the new version this year especially after the news that they've introduced various Brexit modes, which should make things more interesting.

Joshyd123

Completed my first season and missed out on automatic promotion by goal difference on the last day of the season at home to Carlisle! Smashed Mansfield, yeah right, in the playoff semis before dismantling Cheltenham at Wembley. Yes, I got promoted first season after being relegation bound after 10 games. If you need to know any secrets Mr Tisdale, I'm always here...

Currently in the playoffs in December in season 2 in League 1. Getting Man Utd as a parent club has probably helped no end because the youngsters they send me are far too good, not that I'm complaining of course.

Oh and I got £40k for Troy A-H from Crewe...

Grecian2K

Perhaps someone should buy Tisdale a copy of FM2017?

Over the last 2 or 3 years it seems clear that he is, tactically and emotionally, still happily stuck in FM08 and FM09.

memoman

Well-known Exeweb poster
Currently got Sunderland close to the top four 30 games into the season. Reunited Defoe with Crouch in a counter-attacking 3-5-2. Will try it out on City soon.

Terryhall

Decided to leave ECFC alone and do my usual trick of starting unemployed as myself (Sunday league footballer, zero coaching badges). First season, I got a job at Dundela in the 3rd division in Northern Ireland (nope, me either) - won the Steel and Sons cup and got a move to Forfar Athletic (currently topping the Scottish League One, with wages as high as £190 per week for their part timers.)

In the meantime, FM Tisdale got City promoted to League One, but was disappointed to see that the game starts with TAH on a nudge over £1k a week (not pay as you play by any stretch) and Wheeler transfer listed (which I hope has no basis in fact).

Also no Ethan Ampadu, which according to the FM beta forums was because only players aged 16 or over on 1 September make the cut for the game. Shame that.

Better news is that I got a notification that FIFA has decided to move the 2022 World Cup from Qatar to... Canada.

Ex-ciderrr

Just purchased football manager touch 2017 very much the same as pc version but for iPad

1st month has gone as follows.

Blackpool (a) 2-1 L
Millwall (h) 5-2 W (cup)
Hartlepool (h) 2-0 W
Crawley (h) 2-0 W
Accrington (a) 3-0 L
Watford (a) 3-0 L

Mixed bag of results so far, winning all 3 home games and losing all 3 away games. What's alarming it's that Robbie Simpson has scored 4 in his 1st 3 games.

Will be posting updates of how things are going.

Ex-ciderrr

Got an oh so realistic feel to things now, just lost 6 in a row.

Got an oh so realistic feel to things now, just lost 6 in a row.
Has there been a motion to remove you yet?!

Ex-ciderrr

Has there been a motion to remove you yet?!
No, after that dismal run I've now managed to win 5/7 w5 d1 l1 sole defeat in the checkatrade trophy to Swansea u23

Sitting 12th 20pts from 15 games.