Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Football Manager 2017

Re: Football Manager 2017

Quote Originally Posted by unheilige_grecian View Post
    It is, but to be fair I only have the English leagues loaded in this save, so only the clubs in England and the Champions League have managers and there are not many personnel for foreign clubs to choose from.
    Ah, fair enough. They do some odd things with managers anyway. I remember when I won the championship with Derby, then got offered Chelsea in the close season. They had just won the premiership, but their manager had gone to Manchester City. Ended up winning everything the following year.

For anyone interested in buying, I assume you've seen it's a third of the price in the steam sale currently?

Quote Originally Posted by The Proper Chap View Post
    How long has that taken ?
    Do updates pretty much everyday since January transfer window until now, couple hours a day. Sad I know!

I didn't think it was worth a whole new thread for FM18. Got the beta test the other day and had my first proper taste of it yesterday. Immediate thoughts are that it's already very different from FM17 - the new scouting engine and the medical centre are big improvements that will take some getting used to (especially scouting which I'm struggling to really get my head around so far), plus new staff attributes for Data Analysts and Sport Scientists so it's not just a punt in the dark on who to appoint there. Also new GK training for coaches on Distribution which is a nice touch.

In terms of ECFC, a couple of glaring omissions - nothing anywhere to mention the Ethan Ampadu transfer to Chelsea, and once again no sign of any ground redevelopment work - I have raised both with the data team via the SI Forum, but not very hopeful that either will come to anything. Someone else also flagged that Tis's history is a bit out of whack (it says he only joined us in 2011 which is way off.)

And with all the usual caveats of this just being a game and so probably not at all accurate, it says that we have the following clauses in place from our recent transfers

Grimes - 10% sell on (of profit)
    Wheeler - 15% sell on (of profit) and transfer fee listed in the game as 500k
    Watkins - 20% sell on (of profit) plus 50k for every 10 league appearances (up to 50) and every 10 league goals (up to 50), plus 200k if Brentford get promoted.

As mentioned above, no mention of any fees or clauses for Ethan (which I guess is because the tribunal didn't happen yet, but feels like that's unfair unless the game knows that there is a pending tribunal that will announce an adequate fee at some point.)

Overall - it's worth getting over FM17 in my view (not least because right now you get a pre-order discount alongside a further discount if you already have FM17 in your Steam library).

I started as ECFC on Beta and ended up winning the league in my first season. Stockley scoring 20 goals helped! The new improvements in social groups for the players, scouting and development are very confusing and will take some getting used to, I agree. Enjoying it so far though!

Quote Originally Posted by Joshyd123 View Post
    I started as ECFC on Beta and ended up winning the league in my first season. Stockley scoring 20 goals helped! The new improvements in social groups for the players, scouting and development are very confusing and will take some getting used to, I agree. Enjoying it so far though!
    Ah yeah I forgot the social dynamics thing! It's interesting to see the heirarchy piece but its also going to take a while to figure out. So far the only impact I've seen was when Sweeney complained I wasn't giving him enough game time (because I signed an actual right back and Brown/JMT are first choice centre backs), and then the whole team went nuts when I told him to suck it up .

In my save Stockley just went 16 hours without a goal but finally got a tap in - hopefully the other 19 come a bit sooner

Hope that for the final release they at least fix the ground development and get that in there - cos there's no chance Taggy is going to let me expand the ground normally

Bingo! Just got a confirmation on the SI Forum that the ground redevelopment work will be in the final release database

You may already be familiar with this but Josh Widdicombe does a podcast all about 90's football and one episode features Miles Jacobson who has been involved with developing Championship Manager almost since the beginning. It's the second one down and whilst quite a good listen (as are the others) you do have to put up with Widdicombe and one of his cronies who has a ridiculous, high pitched laugh.

https://www.quicklykevin.com/episodes/