Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 66

Thread: Football Manager 2017

  1. #41

    Re: Football Manager 2017

    Quote Originally Posted by unheilige_grecian View Post
    It is, but to be fair I only have the English leagues loaded in this save, so only the clubs in England and the Champions League have managers and there are not many personnel for foreign clubs to choose from.
    Ah, fair enough. They do some odd things with managers anyway. I remember when I won the championship with Derby, then got offered Chelsea in the close season. They had just won the premiership, but their manager had gone to Manchester City. Ended up winning everything the following year.

    For anyone interested in buying, I assume you've seen it's a third of the price in the steam sale currently?

  2. #42
    Joshyd123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Oopsy.
    Posts
    11,610

    Re: Football Manager 2017

    Quote Originally Posted by The Proper Chap View Post
    How long has that taken ?
    Do updates pretty much everyday since January transfer window until now, couple hours a day. Sad I know!

  3. #43
    Terryhall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Wer nid gumped isch kei Schwiizer
    Posts
    3,713

    Re: Football Manager 2017

    I didn't think it was worth a whole new thread for FM18. Got the beta test the other day and had my first proper taste of it yesterday. Immediate thoughts are that it's already very different from FM17 - the new scouting engine and the medical centre are big improvements that will take some getting used to (especially scouting which I'm struggling to really get my head around so far), plus new staff attributes for Data Analysts and Sport Scientists so it's not just a punt in the dark on who to appoint there. Also new GK training for coaches on Distribution which is a nice touch.

    In terms of ECFC, a couple of glaring omissions - nothing anywhere to mention the Ethan Ampadu transfer to Chelsea, and once again no sign of any ground redevelopment work - I have raised both with the data team via the SI Forum, but not very hopeful that either will come to anything. Someone else also flagged that Tis's history is a bit out of whack (it says he only joined us in 2011 which is way off.)

    And with all the usual caveats of this just being a game and so probably not at all accurate, it says that we have the following clauses in place from our recent transfers

    Grimes - 10% sell on (of profit)
    Wheeler - 15% sell on (of profit) and transfer fee listed in the game as 500k
    Watkins - 20% sell on (of profit) plus 50k for every 10 league appearances (up to 50) and every 10 league goals (up to 50), plus 200k if Brentford get promoted.

    As mentioned above, no mention of any fees or clauses for Ethan (which I guess is because the tribunal didn't happen yet, but feels like that's unfair unless the game knows that there is a pending tribunal that will announce an adequate fee at some point.)

    Overall - it's worth getting over FM17 in my view (not least because right now you get a pre-order discount alongside a further discount if you already have FM17 in your Steam library).

  4. #44
    Joshyd123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Oopsy.
    Posts
    11,610

    Re: Football Manager 2017

    I started as ECFC on Beta and ended up winning the league in my first season. Stockley scoring 20 goals helped! The new improvements in social groups for the players, scouting and development are very confusing and will take some getting used to, I agree. Enjoying it so far though!

  5. #45
    Terryhall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Wer nid gumped isch kei Schwiizer
    Posts
    3,713

    Re: Football Manager 2017

    Quote Originally Posted by Joshyd123 View Post
    I started as ECFC on Beta and ended up winning the league in my first season. Stockley scoring 20 goals helped! The new improvements in social groups for the players, scouting and development are very confusing and will take some getting used to, I agree. Enjoying it so far though!
    Ah yeah I forgot the social dynamics thing! It's interesting to see the heirarchy piece but its also going to take a while to figure out. So far the only impact I've seen was when Sweeney complained I wasn't giving him enough game time (because I signed an actual right back and Brown/JMT are first choice centre backs), and then the whole team went nuts when I told him to suck it up .

    In my save Stockley just went 16 hours without a goal but finally got a tap in - hopefully the other 19 come a bit sooner

    Hope that for the final release they at least fix the ground development and get that in there - cos there's no chance Taggy is going to let me expand the ground normally

  6. #46
    Terryhall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Wer nid gumped isch kei Schwiizer
    Posts
    3,713

    Re: Football Manager 2017

    Bingo! Just got a confirmation on the SI Forum that the ground redevelopment work will be in the final release database

  7. #47
    LOG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Playing the organ
    Posts
    24,943

    Re: Football Manager 2017

    You may already be familiar with this but Josh Widdicombe does a podcast all about 90's football and one episode features Miles Jacobson who has been involved with developing Championship Manager almost since the beginning. It's the second one down and whilst quite a good listen (as are the others) you do have to put up with Widdicombe and one of his cronies who has a ridiculous, high pitched laugh.

    https://www.quicklykevin.com/episodes/

  8. #48
    Terryhall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Wer nid gumped isch kei Schwiizer
    Posts
    3,713

    Re: Football Manager 2017

    Quote Originally Posted by Terryhall View Post
    I didn't think it was worth a whole new thread for FM18. Got the beta test the other day and had my first proper taste of it yesterday. Immediate thoughts are that it's already very different from FM17 - the new scouting engine and the medical centre are big improvements that will take some getting used to (especially scouting which I'm struggling to really get my head around so far), plus new staff attributes for Data Analysts and Sport Scientists so it's not just a punt in the dark on who to appoint there. Also new GK training for coaches on Distribution which is a nice touch.

    In terms of ECFC, a couple of glaring omissions - nothing anywhere to mention the Ethan Ampadu transfer to Chelsea, and once again no sign of any ground redevelopment work - I have raised both with the data team via the SI Forum, but not very hopeful that either will come to anything. Someone else also flagged that Tis's history is a bit out of whack (it says he only joined us in 2011 which is way off.)

    And with all the usual caveats of this just being a game and so probably not at all accurate, it says that we have the following clauses in place from our recent transfers

    Grimes - 10% sell on (of profit)
    Wheeler - 15% sell on (of profit) and transfer fee listed in the game as 500k
    Watkins - 20% sell on (of profit) plus 50k for every 10 league appearances (up to 50) and every 10 league goals (up to 50), plus 200k if Brentford get promoted.

    As mentioned above, no mention of any fees or clauses for Ethan (which I guess is because the tribunal didn't happen yet, but feels like that's unfair unless the game knows that there is a pending tribunal that will announce an adequate fee at some point.)

    Overall - it's worth getting over FM17 in my view (not least because right now you get a pre-order discount alongside a further discount if you already have FM17 in your Steam library).
    3 months in and I'm happily settled with the new features. Am currently in a save which is trying to complete the Ultimate FM Challenge. Start off as an unemployed 20 year old with no coaching badges or experience, and in the course of your career, win:

    Leagues – La Liga, Premier League, Bundesliga, Ligue 1, Serie A plus 5 other top leagues
    Champions Leagues – UEFA CL, Asia CL, Copa Libertadores, NACL, Africa CL
    International tournaments – UEFA Euros, Asian Cup of Nations, Copa America, Gold Cup, CAN, FIFA World Cup, Confederations Cup
    Other – 10 separate domestic nations cups (where top level teams can enter), FIFA Club World Cup

    Three seasons in, I started at Llandudno and then moved to Harrogate Town, got them promoted to the VNL and currently on the fringes of the playoffs with 3 to go this season. More importantly, Tisdale got Exeter back-to-back promotions to the Championship - current key players such as Pym, Sweeney, JMT, Taylor and Stockley stayed as the core of the squad which sadly got relegated in last place back down to League One with 6 games still to go. But we got there!! If it can happen in FM, it can happen in real life (this statement is not true, FYI.) Tisdale himself jumped ship to Sunderland midway through the season, and Exeter actually invited me for interview (by now 24 years old with a UEFA B licence) but sadly I was overlooked for Stephen Kenny (currently manager of Dundalk.) In other ECFC news on this save, Ollie Watkins went to Huddersfield after one season at Brentford for 4m (rising to 6m with addons) and Ethan has never played a first team game for Chelsea (not because he's not talented, but presumably because the game didn't expect Chelsea to give any game time to a 17 year old.) Other previous stars include Matt Grimes (at L2 Northampton, I'm sure if we were in the Champo and Grimes was playing in L2 in real life, we'd be putting in a bid!)

    In summary if you liked FM17 and don't mind having to learn how to make the most of the new scouting, medical and dynamics, then it's definitely worth the upgrade.

  9. #49

    Re: Football Manager 2017

    Quote Originally Posted by Terryhall View Post
    3 months in and I'm happily settled with the new features. Am currently in a save which is trying to complete the Ultimate FM Challenge. Start off as an unemployed 20 year old with no coaching badges or experience, and in the course of your career, win:

    Leagues – La Liga, Premier League, Bundesliga, Ligue 1, Serie A plus 5 other top leagues
    Champions Leagues – UEFA CL, Asia CL, Copa Libertadores, NACL, Africa CL
    International tournaments – UEFA Euros, Asian Cup of Nations, Copa America, Gold Cup, CAN, FIFA World Cup, Confederations Cup
    Other – 10 separate domestic nations cups (where top level teams can enter), FIFA Club World Cup

    Three seasons in, I started at Llandudno and then moved to Harrogate Town, got them promoted to the VNL and currently on the fringes of the playoffs with 3 to go this season. More importantly, Tisdale got Exeter back-to-back promotions to the Championship - current key players such as Pym, Sweeney, JMT, Taylor and Stockley stayed as the core of the squad which sadly got relegated in last place back down to League One with 6 games still to go. But we got there!! If it can happen in FM, it can happen in real life (this statement is not true, FYI.) Tisdale himself jumped ship to Sunderland midway through the season, and Exeter actually invited me for interview (by now 24 years old with a UEFA B licence) but sadly I was overlooked for Stephen Kenny (currently manager of Dundalk.) In other ECFC news on this save, Ollie Watkins went to Huddersfield after one season at Brentford for 4m (rising to 6m with addons) and Ethan has never played a first team game for Chelsea (not because he's not talented, but presumably because the game didn't expect Chelsea to give any game time to a 17 year old.) Other previous stars include Matt Grimes (at L2 Northampton, I'm sure if we were in the Champo and Grimes was playing in L2 in real life, we'd be putting in a bid!)

    In summary if you liked FM17 and don't mind having to learn how to make the most of the new scouting, medical and dynamics, then it's definitely worth the upgrade.
    Have you tried FM Touch at all? Was thinking of getting it for tablet; don't have the time or patience for the "full" experience...

  10. #50
    Terryhall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Wer nid gumped isch kei Schwiizer
    Posts
    3,713

    Re: Football Manager 2017

    Quote Originally Posted by Hermann View Post
    Have you tried FM Touch at all? Was thinking of getting it for tablet; don't have the time or patience for the "full" experience...
    I haven't - a few years ago I traded in my smartphone for an old style Nokia that just does phone calls and sms and I don't regret it at all. That said I am currently having to think about getting a smartphone and/or tablet anyway, as my employer is rolling out an app where all employees will be able to access work systems via a secure app on our own devices - and that definitely won't work with my phone

    That said even if I do end up rejoining the modern world, I probably won't go for FM Touch - I actually quite like all of the bells and whistles that come with the full thing.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •