• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Football Manager 2017

No, after that dismal run I've now managed to win 5/7 w5 d1 l1 sole defeat in the checkatrade trophy to Swansea u23

Sitting 12th 20pts from 15 games.
You are literally Tisdale in disguise! Same winning and losing streaks!

Ex-ciderrr

Got sacked in the end think it was march time. Re started a save again with City, determined to get things right at the tail end of November at the moment.

Terryhall

Still trucking on with my "real" version, got Forfar into the Scottish Champo but still semi-pro so expecting to take the drop. The board want to see more from me before going professional... at least they're paying for my coaching badges so I can move on when I get those sorted.

In Exeter news, FM-Tisdale got City promoted in his first season, top of league one in the middle of the second season, then moved to Derby and got them into the Premier League, then moved to boyhood club Southampton and currently doing the same for them. I guess that whoever does the FM analysis for Exeter is a fan as clearly he is quite a good manager in the game. I forget offhand who replaced him (and if I open it to check, that'll be hours before I come back to this post...) but he also did a decent job of things... struggled at first (we finished the 2nd season 19th after being top before FM-Tis left) but then got us in the playoffs in the following season.

Tagg and Perryman still around as chairman and DoF.

Ex-ciderrr

2 seasons with City finished mid table 1st season, 2nd season fared better I was top 3 until start of march ended up with a bag full of injuries and narrowly missed out on the playoffs by 3 points. I'll admit I did lack abit of depth in the squad. Reuben Reid was absolutely quality for us on there.

Offered jobs at Bradford, Peterborough, Walsall, Cardiff during my tenure with Exeter, all of which I rejected. Then at the end of my 2nd season with City, Norwich who finished 16th in the championship surprisingly came calling, subsequently I thought it was a too good a offer to turn down so Norwich is where I am today.

Ive just finished my 2nd season with the canaries, finished 11th in my 1st season (board out lining mid table expectations) and mid table expectations again for the 2nd season. 2nd season however never dropped lower than 9th and strongly cemented a play off place after falling just short to Crystal Palace for automatic promotion. Beat Aston Villa over 2 legs in the semi final before going down 2-0 to Middlesbrough in the play off final. Newcastle were champions by a country mile.

Terryhall

Momentous changes almost afoot in my save - Forfar on the fringes of the Scottish Champo playoffs, Chris Beech at ECFC gets sacked with City in 21st in L1 and... I get an interview!

Pretty sure I gave good answers (I even said how pleased I would be to work under FM-Perryman as DoF) but FM-Tagg must have read my FM-Exeweb posts as they decided to appoint Keith Curle instead.

It did give me a chance to look over the squad and see who is still around in Dec 2019 - not many. Pierce Sweeney, JMT, Lloyd James and Liam McAlinden - otherwise the squad has been pretty brutally changed since the game started.

How good is this game? I havent had one for a couple years as it just got too involved and time consuming so I resorted to pkaying old Champ Mans where you can knock out a season in 4-5 hours.

Is it still too in depth or have they changed it at all?

Terryhall

More in depth, but there is apparently a "lite" option where you can still bang out seasons in a shorter space of time. So for example I've got my coaches taking care of the U-20 side at Forfar (training, tactics, etc.) and just dealing with the 1st team, scouting, etc, and taking advantage of the in-match "team talks" from the sidelines (which means I don't watch the matches at super-fast-speed so that I can see whats going on in the match) - so normally it takes me give or take 15 mins per match. A season can take weeks or months as I really don't get anything like as much time to indulge in FM as I used to.

LOG

Very well known Exeweb poster
How good is this game? I havent had one for a couple years as it just got too involved and time consuming
I stopped playing it several years ago for this very reason even though i loved the game. It would 11pm and i'd think, i'll just get through to the January transfer window then i'll go to bed. Then, before i knew it, it would be 3am and the Boxing Day clash away to Wycombe was still two weeks away.

Terryhall

Can wholly recommend this book to any fans of the game series (got it for Christmas a couple of years ago) - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Football-Manager-Stole-Life-Beautiful/dp/0956497179

Some great anecdotes in there and reassuring to know that however deeply I might get sucked in, there are others out there who take it way more seriously than I do...!

Ex-ciderrr

Suffered a severe play off hang over entering my 3rd season with Norwich sacked just after xmas. Bristol City came calling and I couldn't save a depleted robins side from the drop, sacked at the end of that season, currently about to start season 21/22 in league 1 with newly promoted Barnet, looking to kick start my managerial career in some way shape or form.