• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Who is this about?

fred binneys head

Very well known Exeweb poster
Comments from BBC twitter feed:

"Never a fan of his boring, ball-hugging tactics and never will be. Zero shots on goal says it all - teams have worked you out."

"If you pressure City's back 3, you have a chance to win."

Sound familiar?

Last edited:
Comments from BBC twitter feed:

"Never a fan of his boring, ball-hugging tactics and never will be. Zero shots on goal says it all - teams have worked you out."

"If you pressure City's back 3, you have a chance to win."

Sound familiar?
TheManFromDelMonte.

He says........................Pep Guardiola. (y)

andrew p long

'The mistakes that the players made, as a coach you just can't legislate for'

'The trouble is if the players are nervous, that makes the crowd nervous,which translates to the game the team play'

Either of these sound familiar? Will the MFDM have one or both answers?

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
There are definite similarities between the maestro and Pep (other than of course their historical playing records) both arrogant, never wrong, will continue to do it my way regardless and no apparent plan B. Add in wanting a goalie to play out rather boot it clear with the same catastrophic results.

D__Lo__

Tisdale mentioned in the same breathe as Guardiola, in Tis' dreams.

Last edited:

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
Tisdale mentioned in the same breathe as Guardiola, in Tis' dreams.
Agreed but you cannot deny that there are similarities in their make up.......and Mr G has yet to prove himself in the English Prem.

StroudGrecian

There are definite similarities between the maestro and Pep (other than of course their historical playing records) both arrogant, never wrong, will continue to do it my way regardless and no apparent plan B. Add in wanting a goalie to play out rather boot it clear with the same catastrophic results.
He's such a poor manager no wonder Man City are....oh, top of the premiership.

Last edited:

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
He's such a poor manager no wonder Man City are....oh, top of the premiership.
Time will tell but as various pundits are saying the Prem even more than usual has been totally unpredictable. All the top teams dropping unexpected points a good example being last Saturday when Arsenal drew with George's Boro and Man City are top despite now having gone five games without a win.

D__Lo__

Agreed but you cannot deny that there are similarities in their make up.......and Mr G has yet to prove himself in the English Prem.
Re. the goalkeeper bit. Not convinced that's a tactical decision as Oljenik hasn't been found doing that often from memory. I'd put that down to a Pym trait, over-confidence with the ball. For once I wouldn't necessarily blame Tis. The rest I somewhat agree with to an extent but that's where it ends. There's no similarity in styles (not that anyone has directly said there is, the half-back is just one clear Guardiola trademark when did we last even have a rudimentary defensive midfielder?) I would also argue that Guardiola's style is very effective and the relevance of the need of a 'plan B'. Every recent game they've played recently which they haven't won they could have done so quite easily (even Spurs and Barca albeit ultimately they were second best in the end) I went off on a bit a tangent there...

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
Guardiola put Mascherano at centre back although he's a midfielder, and not a very tall one at that. It worked.

When Tisdale first put Oakley at CB I actually wondered if he was trying a similar thing.

It failed btw.