• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Violence at SJP c.1977

TUFCJON

The video below from the BFI says:

Violence has broken out between the fans of football club rivals Exeter City and Torquay United. The fans were drinking at 'the Near Post' bar in the social club housed within the grounds of St. James’ Park. The match is stopped because of a fan on the pitch who is eventually led away by police. Post-match violence erupts causing the police to intervene when fans are injured.

I don't think it is Torquay though. Any ideas?

[video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-dXzxvx8BX4[/video]

Last edited:

PeteUSA

Very well known Exeweb poster
I'm almost certain that it is Torquay from 76/77. They did wear all yellow strip with blue epilletts on the sholders. The City player that comes into view is number 7 Bobby Hodge.

flakey pasty

Wonder if those responsible have grown up at all in the last 40 years?

PeteUSA

I wonder how those tough bastards got up into the Cowshed to give that youngster a kicking. Not a copper in sight!

dontpassback

The fellow on the pitch was v torquay,the lad that got a kicking in the cowshed was v argyle and filmed by westward from the gantry.i think the mental bannervwas after a millwall vist.i may be wrong though !

STURTZ

The mental banner and the beaten up bloke were both from the game when Argyle invaded the cowshed. .The lad did take a kicking but he was also very ****ed at the time.

contrabombarde

I can't add any more to the clueage but that certainly brought back good memories. So good to see the old cowshed again. I can see Chris Fear up that ladder and filming away for the TV. He didn't half get some stick. The "near post" was the club shop in Blackboy road. Anyone remember the "free 'n easy" draw? I won a gold watch from that. I was an agent for the draw at the time.

Oldsmobile-88

It was the League Cup 1st round 2nd leg game against Argyle in August 1976..They wore yellow shirts as their 2nd kit that season...

dontpassback

Olds is spot on ,on close veiwing you can see a green trim on the yellow shirts and shorts.i think we won 1 0

Oldsmobile-88

The assult was filmed at the League Cup fixture the next season Aug 1977 after the game finished.Some Argyle yobs came into the Cowshed & attacked the lad..I have forgotten his name now..Two different clips of film.