• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Work to start on new 3G pitch...

PeteUSA

Very well known Exeweb poster
...in two to three weeks?

Anybody else aware of this, as well as the 'Barnet' stand?

http://www.exeterexpressandecho.co.uk/exeter-city-issue-update-over-training-ground-developments/story-29698398-detail/story.html

Mods: Please move to appropriate thread if neccesary.

CREDYGRECIAN

Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
Couldn't care less about a 3G pitch - but in all reality if it stops moaning in the winter that we can't train then it's worth it

Avening Posse

Great news, we can actually train properly in winter, must be worth a few points all things being equal ?

DanceMagnet

On a personal level, I've never been a fan of artificial pitches as I've always felt that I have picked up more injuries, to the extent I stopped playing on them several years ago - I don't really play at all anymore.

Of course, there have been improvements in quality over the years but concerns remain over the long term effects of playing on artificial surfaces. Back in 2014 when the Football League were looking at introducing artificial pitches in leagues one and two, the PFA voiced similar concerns. There have also been other studies that suggest that injuries are less likely on modern 3G pitches, so it would seem that it's still somewhat inconclusive. Short term injury risks include tiredness, stiffness and burns.

It will be interesting to judge the effects of using a 3G pitch on our injury prone squad given the improved opportunity to train on one during the winter months.

PeteUSA

It will be interesting to judge the effects of using a 3G pitch on our injury prone squad given the improved opportunity to train on one during the winter months.
Even though this'll be an all weather pitch, the bigger problem will be getting all the players, and Tisdale together at one time. I thinks its dreadfull that so many players are allowed to drive to and fro daily from as far afield as Bristol, and I'm dead against it. The players and the manager should all be made to uproot and live in or near Exeter. This commuting is tiring for the players in itself, before they start whatever training they do. Gerry Francis lived in Bagshot, but he stayed throughout each week in Exeter.

AlanDevlin

Even though this'll be an all weather pitch, the bigger problem will be getting all the players, and Tisdale together at one time. I thinks its dreadfull that so many players are allowed to drive to and fro daily from as far afield as Bristol, and I'm dead against it. The players and the manager should all be made to uproot and live in or near Exeter. This commuting is tiring for the players in itself, before they start whatever training they do. Gerry Francis lived in Bagshot, but he stayed throughout each week in Exeter.
Ok... Let's start paying relocation expenses or renting properties for the players.... Of course you don't mind that coming from the playing budget?

AndrewP

Let's hope a bit more due diligence has gone into the tender/contract process - we ain't got a good track record on major works (the new pitch at SJP for example....)

PeteUSA

Ok... Let's start paying relocation expenses or renting properties for the players.... Of course you don't mind that coming from the playing budget?
Simple answer: The club shouldnt sign players who wont re-locate, pure and simple. We managed throughout the majority of our history to get teams together where all the players lived in or near the city. To my knowledge, none of the players from the teams that got us promoted over the years commuted to Exeter from somewhere else.

Rob Edwards lived in Bristol and was promoted twice, same with Ryan Harley and Matt Gill

malcolms

Great news, we can actually train properly in winter, must be worth a few points all things being equal ?
Is a considerable amount of rain during the winter months a particular problem for Exeter and East Devon? The way this thing is reported suggests that training grounds up and down the country have some secret to remaining dry throughout the dark days of November to March.

Carlisle United's ground last year..... and they still finished above us.

http://4c2lgc59e181vuma1n9bmo1c.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/assets/Carlisle-United-Flooded-471x353.png

Last edited: