Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 62

Thread: WC 2018 - Russia

  1. #41

    Re: WC 2018 - Russia

    Judging by what's being served up on the pitch I would say they're lucky that more haven't left already........rashford is shockingly slow and the rest of the team can't string 5 passes together whereas Slovakia are quick and direct

  2. #42

    Re: WC 2018 - Russia

    Quote Originally Posted by ramone View Post
    That's a shocking amount of empty seats for a W/C qualifier ! I would say only half the capacity there tonight.
    Perhaps people feel like I do about England now. Donkey's years of insipid dross have sucked all the enthusiasm out of this former England fan and, to be frank, I'm not even bothered about watching them on telly.
    Last edited by Billy The Fish; 04 September 2017 at 19:54.

  3. #43
    ramone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong !
    Posts
    2,682

    Re: WC 2018 - Russia

    Quote Originally Posted by Billy The Fish View Post
    Perhaps people feel like I do about England now. Donkey's years of insipid dross have sucked all the enthusiasm out of this former England fan and, to be frank, I'm not even bothered about watching them on telly.
    Used to love going to watch England play apart from when we had to go to Old Trafford for games.

    Remember having about 12 tickets once and took a load of lads for their first game eo watch them play.

  4. #44

    Re: WC 2018 - Russia

    So, one win and England will qualify
    Rashford turned himself around to redeem a poor first half hour so credit where it's due there.....the overall performance though doesn't fill me with good feelings for next summer but at least there's time to fix that so we shall see
    Interesting that the jocks now have a good chance but knowing them they will beat Slovakia next and then lose their last game

  5. #45

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Yogyakarta
    Posts
    7,369

    Re: WC 2018 - Russia

    The quality of England's shooting was very poor. Rashford especially was always way off target except for his goal. He's becoming very selfish, too. Great pace but poor decision- making. Delli, Chamberlain and Kane were also terrible. Defensive marking at corners was also poor. Add to that the poor attendance and the whole thing was depressing. Any decent team will beat England.
    Last edited by IndoMike; 05 September 2017 at 00:19.

  6. #46

    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    North Midlands
    Posts
    563

    Re: WC 2018 - Russia

    I argued with a mate about England and the fact that they are NEVER exciting to watch. It's predictable, pedestrian, laboured, slow and boring for the most part of their games with a little spell of excitement here and there. This is regardless of opposition. They play the minnows. Malta, San Marino, Andorra, Gibraltar or whoever and they always take an age of laborious side to side passing before they manage to break them down.

    Considering everyone knows in advance how these teams set up (11 man behind the ball and defend with next to no attacking threat to be concerned about) then surely it should be a piece of p*ss to get the job done by half time. What do they do in training ffs? Why not practice trying to get behind and break down 11 men defending for a start.

    They then play teams of a better calibre such as Slovakia, Slovenia, Finland, Hungary and teams like that and they still play the same way but always manage to find enough to beat them.

    In competitive matches against the very top nations and those just below they still play the same dull way but always get beaten.

    Someone said to me what about France? France drew 0-0 at home to Luxembourg the other night so it's not just England they said. I pointed out to him that France battered them and couldn't score whereas England would knock it around amongst themselves for an hour before mounting any sort of prolonged attack.

    I also pointed out that France may have drawn the game 0-0 however, in most of their other games they are vibrant, exciting to watch and entertaining and that Luxembourg result was just a freak that you get in football. Whereas England could churn out a 0-0 draw with Luxembourg and then proceed to play exactly the same way against their next hundred opponents whether that be Faroe Islands or France and that is the difference.

    I'm with Billy the Fish. Watching England games on telly is arduous, actually making the ballache effort to get to Wembley and back and you have to be certifiable IMO.

  7. #47
    Banksy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Mersham Kent
    Posts
    3,186

    Re: WC 2018 - Russia

    Great post Legohead , I gave up several years ago for that reason. And how many times do we beat the dross to top the qualifiers and then flop in the actual finals.England are also victims of the hyped up Premier****e too I'm afraid too.
    Last edited by Banksy; 05 September 2017 at 18:11.

  8. #48
    grecIAN Harris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    In the drivers seat..........
    Posts
    18,168

    Re: WC 2018 - Russia

    Quote Originally Posted by Legohead View Post
    I argued with a mate about England and the fact that they are NEVER exciting to watch. It's predictable, pedestrian, laboured, slow and boring for the most part of their games with a little spell of excitement here and there. This is regardless of opposition. They play the minnows. Malta, San Marino, Andorra, Gibraltar or whoever and they always take an age of laborious side to side passing before they manage to break them down.

    Considering everyone knows in advance how these teams set up (11 man behind the ball and defend with next to no attacking threat to be concerned about) then surely it should be a piece of p*ss to get the job done by half time. What do they do in training ffs? Why not practice trying to get behind and break down 11 men defending for a start.

    They then play teams of a better calibre such as Slovakia, Slovenia, Finland, Hungary and teams like that and they still play the same way but always manage to find enough to beat them.

    In competitive matches against the very top nations and those just below they still play the same dull way but always get beaten.

    Someone said to me what about France? France drew 0-0 at home to Luxembourg the other night so it's not just England they said. I pointed out to him that France battered them and couldn't score whereas England would knock it around amongst themselves for an hour before mounting any sort of prolonged attack.

    I also pointed out that France may have drawn the game 0-0 however, in most of their other games they are vibrant, exciting to watch and entertaining and that Luxembourg result was just a freak that you get in football. Whereas England could churn out a 0-0 draw with Luxembourg and then proceed to play exactly the same way against their next hundred opponents whether that be Faroe Islands or France and that is the difference.

    I'm with Billy the Fish. Watching England games on telly is arduous, actually making the ballache effort to get to Wembley and back and you have to be certifiable IMO.
    As I've said before when it comes to England making hard work of breaking lesser sides down, if they stuck to basic simple football with a basic simple 4-4-2 they'd walk games like this. Get the ball wide in behind the full backs with two proper wingers. Get crosses in and score goals. It really is that simple. If you don't believe me, watch the Germans and how they batter the likes of Malta and San Marino. That's how they get into them in the first place and then they start to play.

  9. #49

    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    North Midlands
    Posts
    563

    Re: WC 2018 - Russia

    Quote Originally Posted by grecIAN Harris View Post
    As I've said before when it comes to England making hard work of breaking lesser sides down, if they stuck to basic simple football with a basic simple 4-4-2 they'd walk games like this. Get the ball wide in behind the full backs with two proper wingers. Get crosses in and score goals. It really is that simple. If you don't believe me, watch the Germans and how they batter the likes of Malta and San Marino. That's how they get into them in the first place and then they start to play.
    Totally agree. Arsenal do this a lot and it's almost like the old fashioned winger taking on the full back, getting chalk on his boots and slinging a cross in is becoming obsolete with more and more teams intent to keep passing across the packed defence hoping to thread the ball through the eye of a needle. Probing and hoping that killer ball option presents itself.

    Packed defences don't like players getting around / behind them and creating havoc and so what do England do? They have players like Sterling, Rashford, Chamberlain, Walker players with pace and power. They've no bottle. Just skin the full back and whip crosses in. If nothing else it could go in off a defender. Exciting and more effective than endless probing, to-ing and fro-ing across the middle from one side to the next as soon as the full back comes on to them. That football is a hot potato. They aren't comfortable with it at their feet and need to get rid asap.

  10. #50

    Re: WC 2018 - Russia

    Unfortunately I don't think England have the quality players anymore,we will continue to qualify for tournaments and then get turned over by the better sides,I would love to be proved wrong but to be honest the best england team we had was the one which went to Mexico in 1970.bobby robson did well in 1990 and so venables in Euro 96,but those sides had good keepers and flair players like Gascogne,and strikers like lineker and shearer.The team who I think will be world beaters at the moment are the Belgians.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •