Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: WC 2018 - Russia

Re: WC 2018 - Russia

Quote Originally Posted by Exehausted View Post
    Am I the only person excited about tonight's match against the "Auld enemy"? The oldest fixture in International football. I spent a very nervy night in Glasgow waiting for our coach to be repaired to take us back to London. It was 1978, the Home Internationals, and Scotland had qualified for Argentina and England hadn't. It was all about being on the March with Ally's army and taking the micky out of us for our failure. We had lost the war, but on the day we won the battle, with Trevor Francis flattening their keeper and Coppell tapping into an empty net right at the end. I'm sat there assuming a foul but the ref gave it.They didn't see the funny side of it! It's cast purely to memory, because try as I might, I can't find a clip anywhere. Just about every other England Scotland game from the fifties upwards is on youtube but not that one. Strange. lets hope for a win tonight.
    England in total control for 65 mins and clearly a class above Scotland... the Jocks then decided to have a bit of a go at us but we soon went ahead with a deserved goal after several Close escapes for Scotland...not sure I would blame Joe Hart too much for both of Scotland's goals?? two free kicks that looked practically unsavable...thanks to Harry Kane we equalised at the death and a draw was the least we deserved!
    Last edited by Red Devon; 10 June 2017 at 20:16.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Devon View Post
    England in total control for 65 mins and clearly a class above Scotland... the Jocks then decided to have a bit of a go at us but we soon went ahead with a deserved goal after several Close escapes for Scotland...not sure I would blame Joe Hart too much for both of Scotland's goals?? two free kicks that looked practically unsavable...thanks to Harry Kane we equalised at the death and a draw was the least we deserved!
    A very different ground to the one I went to, now only holds 50,000. It was over 100,000 back then, but clearly in a poor state. I agree, we were in total control from 10 minutes onwards, then a mad three minutes, saved as you say by Harry Kane. I can't get as excited about tonights match in Paris, although I'll probably watch it.

Quote Originally Posted by Exehausted View Post
    I can't get as excited about tonights match in Paris, although I'll probably watch it.
    Was a good game for a friendly....England although not terrible are a long way from being a top side that's for sure, with no midfield being quite a concern also the goalkeeping seems a worry at that level!

Any team that considers Jake Livermore an option does not have a chance of achieving anything.

We are so far behind and it never changes. Very depressing.

If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong !

https://www.liveleak.com/view?i=f24_1498409994

Seems like Russia may not have a team to compete in their own tournament.

Now Southgate and the rest of you England bosses listen up - I'm sure you are regular Exewebbers.

Penalties. Every single player who is close to selection for an England squad is from now on to remain behind for 30 minutes after club training and to take penalties. Youth players are to stand around doing all they can to distract the penalty taker. They are to do this endlessly until they can kick a football from the penalty spot past a goalkeeper into a goal net 9 times out of ten whilst under pressure.

Going out of international football tournaments on penalties is now not an option.

There is always the option of winning the game outright if they don't fancy the pens.

Next week's qualifiers for the home nations

FRIDAY 1ST SEPTEMBER

GROUP C
    19:45 San Marino vs Northern Ireland

GROUP F
    19:45 Lithuania vs Scotland
    19:45 Malta vs England

SATURDAY 2ND SEPTEMBER

GROUP D
    19:45 Wales vs Austria

MONDAY 4TH SEPTEMBER

GROUP C
    19:45 Northern Ireland vs Czech Rep

GROUP F
    19:45 England vs Slovakia
    19:45 Scotland vs Malta

TUESDAY 5TH SEPTEMBER

GROUP D
    19:45 Moldova vs Wales

Well if anybody thinks England on Friday were bad..................... http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41138056. Sacre bleu!!!!!!!!!!

If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong !

That's a shocking amount of empty seats for a W/C qualifier ! I would say only half the capacity there tonight.