• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City v Hull City Relegation season

norfolk_exile

Does anybody know where I can find highlights from this match we won 3-1? I keep telling guys at work that from memory lee sharpe scored a belter for us that day!!

Cracking early season game it was. Sharpe and the rest of us looked great. I rememeber getting my old man to put 20quid on us winning the league after that game. Needless to say he hasnt listened since!

No idea on highlights though other than youtube.

Antony Moxey

Very well known Exeweb poster
I don't know if it's still in the club archives but I definitely wrote a match report for the official site for that game, I also remember writing it was like watching Brazil!

Well-known Exeweb poster
Cracking early season game it was. Sharpe and the rest of us looked great. I rememeber getting my old man to put 20quid on us winning the league after that game. Needless to say he hasnt listened since!

No idea on highlights though other than youtube.
Yep still to this day find it hard to believe that team went from looking totally amazing to getting relegated. One word ' MCNAB'

Snakebite

Well-known Exeweb poster
I remember that game and thinking we looked bloody fanstastic. So much enthusiasm that season with a good looking squad and then this match. It went soooo wrong!

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Yep still to this day find it hard to believe that team went from looking totally amazing to getting relegated. One word ' MCNAB'
The rot had set in before he came along - I was at Southend (the ultimate anti-Southender as I wasn't at the final match!) and anyone who complains about our style being rather insipid now should be forced to watch the video that match.

At 0-1 late on and not having had (or looked like having) a shot all game, on target or otherwise, we won a free kick on the edge of their box. It was crying out for someone (Coppinger, Sheldon, etc.) to have a dig at goal. Instead, the father of our new starlet decided to faff around, chipping the ball out for a goal kick near the corner flag.

grecIAN Harris

Very well known Exeweb poster
The rot had set in before he came along - I was at Southend (the ultimate anti-Southender as I wasn't at the final match!) and anyone who complains about our style being rather insipid now should be forced to watch the video that match.

At 0-1 late on and not having had (or looked like having) a shot all game, on target or otherwise, we won a free kick on the edge of their box. It was crying out for someone (Coppinger, Sheldon, etc.) to have a dig at goal. Instead, the father of our new starlet decided to faff around, chipping the ball out for a goal kick near the corner flag.
As I've said before, the kids on here have no idea how bad we've really been before.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
As I've said before, the kids on here have no idea how bad we've really been before.
I feel fortunate in not having watched City in the mid to late 80s!

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
I feel fortunate in not having watched City in the mid to late 80s!
The mid 90's were even worse. I think we invented the game of Hoofball.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
The mid 90's were even worse. I think we invented the game of Hoofball.
I dunno, there were the odd highlights, such as Lee Hodges' loan spell.

I must admit to joining in the chant of "We're supposed to be at home!" on the old Big Bank as we cruised to a 0-3 defeat against a poor Colchester side.