• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Corners

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
I saw this during the pre-season friendlies, but thought the idea might have been dropped, by it hasn't.

We bring a 2nd player over for the corner as if we are about to play a short corner, but instead we launch the ball in to the box. I can understand that the idea might be to draw a defender out ti the corner and thereby creating more space in the box, but no advantage is gained, surely, if we just launch it into the box and we now have 2 players out by the edge of the pitch and not involved in the play.

Thoughts?

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
If the corner is cleared immediately - volleyed or headed away, keeper punching etc - two of our players are out of the game. Don't like it.

Last edited:

A Slacker

Changing tack to defensive corners - we seem to change the way we line up on a regular basis. At times we pull everyone back and at other times we leave two or even three up front. Today was the former for every corner. Surely in the last 15 mins, desperately needing a goal why don't we leave Ollie W and Jake T up, and try to use their pace on the break? We defended the corners well, hoofed it out and then it comes straight back again.

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
If the corner is cleared immediately - volleyed or headed away, keeper punching etc - two of our players are out of the game. Don't like it.
Particularly as Woodman for all his faults (although he had a decent game today) is one of them.

eurogrecian

I saw this during the pre-season friendlies, but thought the idea might have been dropped, by it hasn't.

We bring a 2nd player over for the corner as if we are about to play a short corner, but instead we launch the ball in to the box. I can understand that the idea might be to draw a defender out ti the corner and thereby creating more space in the box, but no advantage is gained, surely, if we just launch it into the box and we now have 2 players out by the edge of the pitch and not involved in the play.

Thoughts?
Noted this at Blackpool. Couldn't work out what it was about...

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
Changing tack to defensive corners - we seem to change the way we line up on a regular basis. At times we pull everyone back and at other times we leave two or even three up front. Today was the former for every corner. Surely in the last 15 mins, desperately needing a goal why don't we leave Ollie W and Jake T up, and try to use their pace on the break? We defended the corners well, hoofed it out and then it comes straight back again.
I believe that we should always leave at least one player forward when defending a corner. For one the opposition will use two players to mark him giving us a numerical advantage in our box. Also, as Slacker says, it gives us an out ball. A vertically challenged player such as Jake Taylor is ideal.

The flip-side is there is more space created in our box which is an advantage to the attackers . They already have the benefit of having a longer run-up with which to attack the cross.

crocks

Very well known Exeweb poster
Hopeless yesterday...when the ball was cleared, it just came straight back. I would have 2 players up the field, then more of their defenders need to keep back to deal with them.

CREDYGRECIAN

Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
Having no striker or player left up field when defending a corner is fine in the 90th minute when your 2-1 up but at any other time of the game it just invites pressure...

School boy tactics

iscalad

Having no striker or player left up field when defending a corner is fine in the 90th minute when your 2-1 up but at any other time of the game it just invites pressure...

School boy tactics
Employed in the PL as well, bizarre.

cityregular

On the same theme---what is the point of--- from kickoff---- staight back to the keeper?

For christ sake hoof it forward!!!