• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

How should we treat the EFL Trophy? (aka the Checkatrade trophy)

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
We now know the opposition and the dates of the the group matches. There seems to be many opinions about the trophy which I hope to summarise as options in how we as fans should approach these games. I hope I've covered them all.

1. We're here to support the City, so what if Chelsea B/Academy/U23s are included. It'll be a good opportunity to see the future stars of Chelsea.

2. We should boycott the games, so people know our unhappiness at the inclusion of the Academy sides.

3. I have no interest in these games. Maybe give me a nudge if we make it to Wembley and I might go.

4. We should go to the games so as not affect City's income but leave after shortly after kick off.

5. I don't do Tuesday night games anyway.

6. Not greatly entertained about the new format, but it's a chance to see Exeter play.

7. Some other approach.

I could turn this in to a poll if wanted.

Last edited:

richard_portland

Very well known Exeweb poster
Backing Gary Caldwell, thanks Matt and good luck.
Re: How should we treat the EFL Trophy?

Six for me. I will potentially go to the Chelsea game, but would expect lower ticket prices. A tenner max to stand. After that will depend how we sit in the group for the Swindon game.

I understand the protests, but still want city to win. If we reached Wembley I would be delighted, can see that if it was against Stoke academy or similar it would probably reduce the gate but that would show up those who had made the plans.

denzel

7. Spend the money we would have spent in the SJC. Have a photo call outside the gates at kick off showing all the fans who aren't going in.

Snakebite

Well-known Exeweb poster

7. I don't care about the competition one iota.

EX4 6PX

Well-known Exeweb poster

I feel conned. Taggy IIRC voted for this arrangement for one season only. God knows why he did, but that is what happened. The latest I read was that if it works this year (no doubt some faceless suit will decide whether it works or not) then they will stick with the format. I quite liked the competition. It was always a bit crappy, but now the smell is pure desperation.

And they are probably more democratic in North Korea than at the EFL, or whatever the Football League has been re-branded as by a bunch of marketing graduates. I depair for modern football.

i8cornwall

2. Boycotting the lot. Going to watch some non league football those nights, give my money to a club that isn't selling its soul to the devil!

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster

Number 1 for me.

I really dont see the problem? Its only the JPT. I actually think adding academy prem sides marginally improves a nothing competition.

DanceMagnet

2 for me. Definitely will not be setting foot inside the ground for any of those games.

CREDYGRECIAN

Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S

2 for me but that's the same as league games - made a decision not to go again until Tisdale has gone due to the continued rubbish served up at home for the last 5 seasons

Terryhall

I can't attend anyway, but if I could I would lean towards 4 (if enough were going to do this to make it effective), and if not then 2.