• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Cameron's dereliction of duty

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
Considering Cameron had no obligation to call for a referendum on our EU membership and that he is not required to resign now - he could stand down at the next general election- I consider it as dereliction of duty to declare that he will resign within 3 months . In effect he created the mess but now wants to press the ejection button. It should also be his signature on the Lisbon 50 notice to quit, so that history will remember Cameron as the catalyst for this little Englander, narrow-minded decision.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Doesn't have the balls to hit the button on Article 50. Mind you I'm not sure that any one else wants to make that call. A career defining moment and if it goes wrong that will be a permanent stain on their CV.

IndoMike

Doesn't have the balls to hit the button on Article 50. Mind you I'm not sure that any one else wants to make that call. A career defining moment and if it goes wrong that will be a permanent stain on their CV.
Agree entirely, Hants.Now that some reality is hitting home I reckon a lot of "leavers" will be thinking "What have I done?"

Grecian2K

Indeed.

The inclusion of the referendum pledge in the 2015 manifesto was almost certainly made with the confidence that failure to achieve an overall majority would mean it would never actually be enacted. It was not until polling night that the stark horror that they might have to follow through finally struck Dave and Gideon and Co.

Similarly in the referendum, judging by their appearance of sheer shock since the victory, I suspect the Outers did not really expect to actually win and have a Plan B in place - hence the current prevarication.

As I increasing come to think
BEWARE THE LAW OF UNINTENDED CONSEQUENCES

IndoMike

Indeed.

The inclusion of the referendum pledge in the 2015 manifesto was almost certainly made with the confidence that failure to achieve an overall majority would mean it would never actually be enacted. It was not until polling night that the stark horror that they might have to follow through finally struck Dave and Gideon and Co.

Similarly in the referendum, judging by their appearance of sheer shock since the victory, I suspect the Outers did not really expect to actually win and have a Plan B in place - hence the current prevarication.

As I increasing come to think
BEWARE THE LAW OF UNINTENDED CONSEQUENCES
I can only agree. Indeed, Cameron couldn't handle a herd of uber nationalistic "leavers" so threw the dice on England's future to get himself out of a jam

Swanaldo

Doesn't have the balls to hit the button on Article 50. Mind you I'm not sure that any one else wants to make that call.
Am I right in thinking it would still have to pass through both houses like any other bill?

Alistair20000

Am I right in thinking it would still have to pass through both houses like any other bill?
Correct.

------

Alistair20000

Considering Cameron had no obligation to call for a referendum on our EU membership and that he is not required to resign now - he could stand down at the next general election- I consider it as dereliction of duty to declare that he will resign within 3 months . In effect he created the mess but now wants to press the ejection button. It should also be his signature on the Lisbon 50 notice to quit, so that history will remember Cameron as the catalyst for this little Englander, narrow-minded decision.
Disagree. He put himself in a position where failure required that he fell on his sword as explained very eloquently before the vote by Ken Clarke. The only bit Ken got wrong was in saying he would not last 5 minutes.

Don't worry about some other PM signing the Article 50 notice. Cameron will always be the name remembered for the Exit.

Last edited:

Antony Moxey

Give people a choice.
People make 'wrong' choice.
People blame person who gave them a choice.

People are f***ing stupid.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
The Act that set up the referendum makes no mention of what should happen at the end http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2015/36/contents/enacted

I can't find any other Act (I'm no expert on this matter) covering what should happen after any referendum. I guess there are no legal precedents either.

Would it be wise to leave it to the two houses? Plenty of room for mischief, let alone can they go against the 'will of the people'?