• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Anfield

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
FA Cup Final day and I just watched BBC Red Button's coverage of this year's competition.

They showed nothing from the Didcot match, no news there, Ollie's goal v Port Vale, Nichols' and Holmes goals v Liverpool and Klopp with the tea ladies. They mentioned nothing about the replay at Anfield, again no story there, and that got me thinking.

I am still angry now after the game at Anfield. Watching this programme has re-opened a wound for me ( its still on now, on a loop, if you're quick) and I still feel a measure of disgust and bitterness about the team selection, tactics and the match itself. Yeah I know it's water under the bridge and there's been plenty of time to move on but it should have been an evening to savour, a match to look back on with fond memories. Instead I feel like this.

Others have commented on this very subject in recent threads so I reckon there's still mileage in thrashing this out.

manc grecian

Very well known Exeweb poster
I couldn't go (work) and when I looked at the team I didn't watch either. The first game highlighted everything we are meant to represent. A young energetic side who got stuck in and competed. The replay, the boring get went and picked his mates to give them one last run out at Anfield where they had all played before. Then to compound it at half time Will Hoskins climbed off his death bed to have a little run around only to be never seen again.

I didn't expect to come close to winning but to pick his mates was shameful.

DanceMagnet

It's history now but, for me, that game summed up everything that is bad about Tisdale's football management style. Stubborn, over cautious, and over thinking what should be a simple game.

Last edited:

LOG

The Liverpool games were on the BBC programme shown the other night.

Avening Posse

We were stood outside the ground in some kind of marquee type area with bars and food outlets across from the away end having a beer when the team sheet came through on our phones. To say we were surprised at the age of the team is understatement of the year, and I still don't understand why nichols didn't start. It certainly was an odd line up, and even more odd when Tis knew that about 6,000 people had made the effort to get up there, most of whom were expecting an entertaining but likely significant loss. I have always been a bit of a tinter at heart but when I saw that line up it was a bit of a hammer blow

IndoMike

I can never forgive Tizzy for that. I have a theory why he did it, but Mother Theresa et al will just jump down my throat, so can't be bothered.

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
After the thriller at SJP we made a lot of friends. As a crowd we were great, lead by the Red Legion with that amazing banner, the atmosphere was top drawer, the match was exciting and it was a dream for tv. My workmates were full of it and they are all Derby fans with no affinity to ECFC. Remember Liverpool fan Redman who posted on here at the time ? He took his family to watch us away at Morecombe in the aftermath - we never heard from him after the replay.

All the goodwill evaporated after Anfield.

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
I can never forgive Tizzy for that. I have a theory why he did it, but Mother Theresa et al will just jump down my throat, so can't be bothered.
Get it off your chest IM

Totally agree with the OP, the replay for me was such an anti climax after their euphoria of the home game. Wouldn't have bothered going if I knew the team selection beforehand, it was embarrassing and a complete waste of time an money. Thanks, Tis!

rp42

Totally gutted that night when the team was announced,travelled all that way just to hear Tis-Stales mates were playing(and i use the word "playing" very loosely there) he will not be forgiven by me for that night(swear):mad: