• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Advice please.

Moomin Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
My wife was travelling behind a flat bed truck that was transporting various building debris and a stone came off the back and hit our windscreen. There is now a crack approximately the size of a 50p on our driver's side of the windscreen.

My wife took the reg number and managed to get the phone number of the firm, so I called them but the bloke insisted they could not be held responsible. Plus he kept saying that the stone would have flicked off the tyre and it could not have come off the back of the vehicle.

So, basically, where do I stand on this? I assume it's a case of our word vs theirs but is there anything I can do to prove their at fault?

richard_portland

Very well known Exeweb poster
Backing Gary Caldwell, thanks Matt and good luck.
Not sure how you go about proving liability but I always thought if you had comprehensive insurance then auto glass would do your screen for free.

I am sure this is the case for a repair but don't know if it also covers if a replacement is needed. Other than that I would phone the insurance company, explain what happened and see what they suggest. You could claim and state you believe the truck to be at fault, I assume if they disagree you would possibly end up with the insurance companies arguing it out between them and they may need you to provide your side of the story either in a letter and photos or in person with a judge to adjudicate.

Red N

You have no evidence it came from the other driver. It is your word against his and he isn't going to admit it. Put it down to experience. Keep your distance from such a vehicle in future and if you are concerned it may cause damage or an accident report the vehicle. Sorry

Just read Richards post and ditto that

Last edited:

Moomin Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Thanks both, I think contacting the insurers is the best bet.

angelic upstart

Thanks both, I think contacting the insurers is the best bet.
No, call autoglass and move on. It will cost either nothing, or next to nothing.

Nothing good will come of speaking with the insurers. You have no proof it wasn't from the road, it was an accident.

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
No, call autoglass and move on. It will cost either nothing, or next to nothing.

Nothing good will come of speaking with the insurers. You have no proof it wasn't from the road, it was an accident.
Thing is with calling a big name firm you will have to pay the full excess amount which these days can be more than the actual price of a windscreen ! And the following year insurers will make sure they redeem some if not all of the money for the screen via your premiums .

If you are in the Exeter area give me a shout and if its at all fixable via a stone chip ill do it for the cost of a pint at the Spot sometime. If its not fixable i should be able to sort a screen and possibly be able to lose the excess hows that ?

My wife was travelling behind a flat bed truck that was transporting various building debris and a stone came off the back and hit our windscreen.
She must have been bloody close to the truck.

fred binneys head

If you are in the Exeter area give me a shout and if its at all fixable via a stone chip ill do it for the cost of a pint at the Spot sometime. If its not fixable i should be able to sort a screen and possibly be able to lose the excess hows that ?
Fair play to you buddy.

PeteUSA

Fair play to you buddy.
Yep, nice gesture.

Moomin Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
She must have been bloody close to the truck.
No she wasn't.