• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Advice Please

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
Just had my car fail its MOT, Nothing unusual about that but what it failed on was there 12 months ago an i took it to the same place. Do i have any ramifications on this? The reason it failed was not even on the "Advisory" section from last year. About 20 months ago during the storms of Christmas 2013 the car was damaged by next doors ridge tiles falling onto the roof and just above the passenger door, Which split the metal. As no one would pay for it calling it an "Act of God" by the insurers I've continued to drive it, So last year took it in for its MOT an passed no problem sighted, Only a dodgy tyre which i replaced. Today, Took it back an it has failed on the damage above the passenger door because it is less than 30cm from the fixing point of the seat belt.

So any advice would be very welcomed

elginCity

It appears you've failed the MOT on a safety check that should have been picked up 12 months ago and wasn't.

I suppose you'd have had recourse if anything serious had happened to a passenger during the year, as a direct or indirect result of the split, and you could prove the split was there prior to the MOT.

Not sure what you mean exactly by 'ramification' , or where you want to take this ? You could always call your local VOSA office and ask their advice.

Last edited:

DB9

It appears you've failed the MOT on a safety check that should have been picked up 12 months ago and wasn't.

I suppose you'd have had recourse if anything serious had happened to a passenger during the year, as a direct or indirect result of the split, and you could prove the split was there prior to the MOT.

Not sure what you mean exactly by 'ramification' , or where you want to take this ? You could always call your local VOSA office and ask their advice.
Probably by ramifications i mean for the MOT centre in passing it when they shouldn't of. Also i have proof that the damage was done prior to my last MOT because i took photos as soon as i saw the damage with the date shown on them, Plus i wanted it for any insurance claim

elginCity

I would submit your evidence, and request they arrange for the car to be fixed and re-tested at no cost.

Beyond that I think you'd be wasting your time and energy.

DB9

I would submit your evidence, and request they arrange for the car to be fixed and re-tested at no cost.

Beyond that I think you'd be wasting your time and energy.
You're probably right but i thought i'd just ask the question

Antony Moxey

Perhaps the damage is worse? In 12 months the area of damage could have increased or perhaps there's corrosion evident that wasn't there before. Did you ask why it failed this time when it had passed last time, and why did they pass it last time but not this?

DB9

Perhaps the damage is worse? In 12 months the area of damage could have increased or perhaps there's corrosion evident that wasn't there before. Did you ask why it failed this time when it had passed last time, and why did they pass it last time but not this?
I have photos of then and now and the damage has not got worse. They said there were a few people on holiday at the time and they used an Agency, An their exact words were "Can't understand how it passed and you must have been lucky" Word for word

StroudGrecian

I still swear by my Rexel Matador.

jambo

Well-known Exeweb poster
I still swear by my Rexel Matador.
In a fit of what I can only describe as pique, mrs jambo destroyed my old Rexel stapler - it was very much a bottom of the range plastic affair, so I can have few complaints, & of course, none at all with mrs jambo.

Not least because she has provided me with the occasion to invest in my first ever Matador.

What can I say? - this is a thing of great beauty, stunning functionality - a glorious triumph of form & function.

How have I managed to live without this platonic ideal of engineering?

I’ve recently invested in a Rexel Matador Half Strip (silver/black). The 50mm throat depth is more than adequate for stapling the newsletter I produce and there’s a good reason why it’s still the UK’s best seller. It also comes with a 5 year guarantee but a product of this quality won’t be failing anytime soon. This is in stark contrast to my previous (non-Rexel) stapler where the clearing spring failed spectacularly causing the follow spring to pop out, scratching my bifocals as it flew past my head. Not a good day at Brownstone Towers.