• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Ashes 2015

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Thought it might deserve its own thread.

Don't want to put the kibosh on it, but this is an excellent start to the series for England. Joe Root once again showing his class.

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
Definitely deserves its own thread. (y)

343-7 is probably an evens day. Good recovery from 3 down for 43 and could have been 4 down if Haddin had snaffled Root for a second ball duck.

Ideally we need to bat through tomorrow morning to post in excess of 400.

Johnson 0-87 and tamed...................so far. (clap)

Ian Bell's spot must now be seriously under threat.

Leads

Yeh, very even I would say. Will be interesting to see how we bowl- I can see Ali going for a few.

grecian greg

Well-known Exeweb poster
Yep agree that it's about even-Stevens. The atmosphere at the Swalec was terrific with the barmy army becoming,unsurprisingly, more vocal as the day wore on. I thought the top order had a predetermined gameplan against Nathan Lyon, with even Cook dancing down the track to him early doors. Why? Wait til you are in fellas. Bell went for him from the off and only just managed to clear mid wicket for his only run. Yet he is class and surely his form will return. Garry Ballance grinded it out for his 61-what an innings in terms of future knocks that may prove to be. Stokes did what Stokes can do. He looked polished and aggressive. A well deserved 50 was his. Butler and Moeen showed good intent as the bowlers became tired late on, the latter in particular looking very accomplished. We can forget Lyth's dismissal for these things happen frequently early on in test matches. The man of the day Joseph Root, apart from the early let off and a couple of inside edges oozed class. he appeared untroubled by whatever the Aussies could throw at him and had so much time to pick his gaps which he did almost at will. It was a joy to be there to witness his 7th ton and 2nd v the old enemy. An important session tomorrow am -we could do with posting 400 plus and then see what our seamers can do. But remember 2009 we posted 435 first up and then let the Aussies amass 600 and odd for 6 declared. In the end month and Jimmy were left to famously do their stuff! Bring on tomorrow and come on England. I shall unfortunately not be there tomorrow but shall be watching Sky in conjunction with the TMS commentary.

RedPaul

Well-known Exeweb poster
England ahead on points and I feel need to go on and win the game to make a serious tilt at regaining the urn. If the weather stays as it has been all summer, and with no tests in the wet North, then I don't see many (if any) draws.

England must assume they need to win 3 games and to be ahead after 2 days means they need to win this one. Knock them over for 350 max tomorrow then get to say 250-5. Will give them a lead of 330 and looking towards 400 Saturday. Then a day and plenty to get the 10 for 1-0.

Alternatively Haddin makes 100 tomorrow, they get 500 + and then put us under the hammer at 100-4

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
308 all out, and the first time in the last 10 Ashes series that England have taken a first innings lead in the first Test.

I wonder if Glenn McGrath is predicting 5-0 now?

HH12

Well-known Exeweb poster
Useful Lead - Hoepfully push on and increase lead and have plenty of time to Bowl them out again

Silver fox

Decent finish HH!

grecian greg

Well-known Exeweb poster
So 400 plus for them to chase. Still not writing them off - only needs a couple of good partnerships! Will be glued to the Sky coverage tomorrow morning!

Silver fox

Need another wicket before lunch.